HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   need 3 drive ribbon cable (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58832)

tele64 May 4th 04 02:36 AM

need 3 drive ribbon cable

Where can I buy a 3 drive (plus the motherboard connect) 40Pin ribbon cable?

thanks in advance,

tele64

Steve W. May 5th 04 02:09 AM

Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

tele64 May 5th 04 02:19 AM

you're wrong.

"doS" wrote in message
No he doesn't.

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

Tom Scales May 5th 04 02:33 AM

Never on any computer I've seen since 1981. Perhaps a very, very, very,
very special model.

For a standard IDE controller, two is the limit. Now pretty much every
motherboard has two controllers. so two cables = four devices.

Tom
"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Yes possible....

"Steve W." wrote in message
Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

tele64 May 5th 04 02:51 AM

This group has tried to answer my question but can not....

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Never on any computer I've seen since 1981. Perhaps a very, very, very,
very special model.

For a standard IDE controller, two is the limit. Now pretty much every
motherboard has two controllers. so two cables = four devices.

Tom
"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Yes possible....

"Steve W." wrote in message
Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

HH May 5th 04 03:18 AM

Again, the floppy drive uses a floppy controller, not the IDE controllers,
and a 34-conductor cable. IDE cables are 40-conductor (wider). On a standard
PC, there are two ide controllers (primary and secondary). Each can handle 2
devices. Period.
HH

. ..

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Never on any computer I've seen since 1981. Perhaps a very, very, very,
very special model.

For a standard IDE controller, two is the limit. Now pretty much every
motherboard has two controllers. so two cables = four devices.

Tom
"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Yes possible....

"Steve W." wrote in message
Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and

connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

DEJ57 May 5th 04 03:21 AM

This group has tried to answer my question but can not....

Yes, the group has been quite polite in providing an answer--you just don't
like the answer. I vote with the others--I don't think more than two IDE on a
channel will work, but never having tried it, and being of rather limited
knowledge and experience, I'll not say its impossible. But I've never seen a
four connector IDE ribbon data cable (SCSI, yes, but not IDE). And I can't
imagine mixing floppy and IDE cables. If a four connector IDE exists it should
be easy to find doing a Goggle search--so search there rather than insult this
group. And I know of a local cable fabricator that could make one for you if
you insist--but I'd bet its a waste of your money.

Dale

Impmon May 5th 04 03:33 AM

On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:19:47 -0400, "tele64"
wrote:

you're wrong.

Are you sure? Unless your son uses SCSI setup and has SCSI disk drive
(is there such thing as internal SCSI floppy drive??), there is no way
a floppy drive and hard drive can be on the same cable. Take another
look, maybe it only appeared to be one cable is in fact 2 cables
positioned close together so to fool some nOObs like you.

Better yet, prove you're right by taking picture oif his computer and
posting it so we could look for ourselves.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Steve W. May 5th 04 04:53 AM

Here is a simple question for you. What make and model is this computer?

--
Steve Williams

. ..

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Never on any computer I've seen since 1981. Perhaps a very, very,

very,
very special model.

For a standard IDE controller, two is the limit. Now pretty much

every
motherboard has two controllers. so two cables = four devices.

Tom
"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Yes possible....

"Steve W." wrote in message
Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and

connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Where can I buy a 3 drive (plus the motherboard connect)

40Pin
ribbon
cable?

thanks in advance,

tele64

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

World!

NuT CrAcKeR May 5th 04 09:38 AM

See, mr teletubbie64 ...

Actually, there is 1 way, and possilby 2, to get a floppy drive to work on a
40pin IDE cable, and controller.

The first that I am absolutely positive of ... is if that drive is an LS120
drive. While not strictly a floppy drive, it will do 1.44 floppies, and
120M disks. To the neophyte, the LS120 can easily be mistaken for a floppy
from just looking at the outside of the computer. It runs on the IDE ribbon
cable. I can provide pictures for those who have not seen them... I am using
2 of them in my computers now.

The second, and this one I am not sure about because I have never done it,
would be if that 'floppy" drive was actually a Zip drive. I am not sure
about the old Zip 100, but I do know that the Zip 250 comes in an ATAPI
(read as IDE) model Again, it would be utter ignorance to confuse the two.

Based on those two exceptions, as they are by no means "standard" equipment
on most consumer models of machines, we can see where a device that could
even remotely be mistaken for a floppy disk could rightfully be found on a
40pin cable.

(anyone that thinks this guy is a superstar should check the
a.s.pc-clone.compaq.servers group... I kill filed this genius.)

LC (aka NuTs)

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

Impmon May 5th 04 05:08 PM

On Wed, 5 May 2004 03:38:04 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:

Based on those two exceptions, as they are by no means "standard" equipment
on most consumer models of machines, we can see where a device that could
even remotely be mistaken for a floppy disk could rightfully be found on a
40pin cable.

I'm still pretty sure you can't have more than 2 IDE drives to the
same cable. So even if it was an LS120 or Zip drive, 3 isn't quite
possible.

FWIW there are 2 versions of 100MB Zip drive. The original one used
nonstandard design and required special driver to make it work and the
newer version used standard IDE protocol and can work.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

NuT CrAcKeR May 5th 04 10:42 PM

My post was not to suggest that there were 3 devices on an IDE cable, but
was made to show 2 possible inaccurate interpretations of floppy drives on
an IDE cable. Call it splitting hairs, but it seems like a signicicant
difference to me.

LC

HH May 9th 04 11:24 AM

Uh, an IDE card will not allow 3 drives on a cable any more than your
onboard IDE controller will, so in actuality, it is not an answer either.
Also, many PCs and their OSs react strangely to any more than 4 IDE devices
total.
Dale was politely making a good point.
HH

Impmon May 10th 04 03:16 AM

On Sun, 9 May 2004 06:24:54 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Uh, an IDE card will not allow 3 drives on a cable any more than your
onboard IDE controller will, so in actuality, it is not an answer either.
Also, many PCs and their OSs react strangely to any more than 4 IDE devices
total.

Not quite. With a second IDE card, you could add 4 more devices.
I've done this before with Win 3.1 and a pile of 120MB hard drives.
As long as the correct drivers are used, no odd behavior should
happen. It's not common though as for most people, 2 ports and 4
drives are usually enough.

The only possible issues with multiple IDE cards is the boot order.
Onboard IDE generally have boot drives only but if there's no onboard
IDE or if it's been disabled and you have 2 or more IDE cards,
figuring which card get sthe boot priority would require a bit of
trial and error.

Dale was politely making a good point.

Yes he was. There is simply no way to get 3 or more IDE devices on
the same IDE port. The OP was being a jerk for insisting the
impossible was possible without closely checking for what it really
was. (SCSI? Or 2 separate cables held together so it appears as one
cable?)
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

HH May 10th 04 11:13 AM

Uh, I was referring to non-ancient OSs. I've seen the squirrelly behavior
with more than 4 IDE devices in Win 95, 98, Me and even 2000 and XP. Raid
controllers are another matter. A standard dual channel IDe controller and a
raid controller often can co-exist peacefully.
HH

Impmon May 10th 04 05:24 PM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 06:13:36 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Uh, I was referring to non-ancient OSs. I've seen the squirrelly behavior
with more than 4 IDE devices in Win 95, 98, Me and even 2000 and XP. Raid
controllers are another matter. A standard dual channel IDe controller and a
raid controller often can co-exist peacefully.

Funny I don't have any problem with my current system: onboard IDE
with 80GB primary, 60GB slave (boot drive), DVD-ROM and DVD burner and
I have a plain vanilla ATA133 card added with 3x 200GB hard drives.
The only odd problem I had in the past 6 months was that one of the
200GB hard drive mysteriously unformatted itself but that was probably
because the file table was being written when a power failure happened
and corrupted the partition data.

Oh yeah I have XP with SP1, older XP can't handle 200GB drives anyway.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

JHEM May 11th 04 02:34 PM

tele64 wrote:
This group has tried to answer my question but can not....

The group has consistently and correctly answered your question, you simply
refuse to accept the reply you've received!

Regards,

James

Vist the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

Ben Myers May 14th 04 07:20 PM

First, the other postings are correct. A standard IDE channel handles two, and
no more than two, devices. I have been in this business for many many years,
and I have torn apart, serviced, or built thousands of computers. NEVER have I
seen a 3-device 40-pin IDE cable. If it does exist, it also requires a
non-standard IDE controller of some sort. IDE drives have exactly two device
settings: master & slave. So no more than two devices per cable. SCSI
controllers support up to 7, or even 15, devices depending on the type of SCSI
you have. But SCSI uses 50-pin or 68-pin cables, not 40-pin.

Second, you can add PCI IDE controller cards to a system to expand the number of
IDE channels beyond the usual primary and secondary. I have seen systems with
four IDE channels, two devices each, for a total of eight IDE devices. Even
more are possible.

Third, especially if the system is a Compaq, there is the possibility that the
"floppy" drive is/was an LS120 drive with an IDE connector. LS120 reads and
writes both its own 120MB disk and standard 1.44MB floppy diskettes. A system
with three IDE devices would customarily use two IDE channels and have two
cables.

Rather than simply denying responses, as in the past, how about identifying the
IDE controller card (manufacturer and model) which uses a 3-device cable and
allows 3 devices to be attached? Thanks... Ben Myers

Ryan 8088 May 16th 04 05:42 PM

Good point. He's prolly fat as a telly.
"Tom Scales" wrote
in message
| You sure that nOOb isn't just an
overweight n00b?
| "Ryan 8088"
wrote in message

m...
| You're a n00b. It's not nOOb. It's
n00b. Sorry. I just had to say it.
| "Impmon" wrote in
message

| On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:19:47 -0400,
"tele64"

Ryan 8088 May 16th 04 05:42 PM

you're wrong
"tele64" wrote in
message
. ..
| you're wrong.
|

| "doS" wrote
in message

| No he doesn't.
|
| "tele64"
wrote in message

. ..
| HH, I don't get it....my nephew
has 3 drives connected; 2 CDRW drives
| and
| one floppy.....all with one ribbon
cable!

| "HH" wrote
in message

| You cannot. Only 2 drives per
IDE controller.
| HH
|
| "tele64"

. ..

Herb Stein May 16th 04 06:44 PM

"Ryan 8088" wrote in message
om...
Good point. He's prolly fat as a telly.
"Tom Scales" wrote
in message
| You sure that nOOb isn't just an
overweight n00b?
| "Ryan 8088"
wrote in message

m...
| You're a n00b. It's not nOOb. It's
n00b. Sorry. I just had to say it.
| "Impmon" wrote in
message

| On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:19:47 -0400,
"tele64"
| wrote:
|
| you're wrong.
|
| Are you sure? Unless your son
uses SCSI setup and has SCSI disk drive
| (is there such thing as internal
SCSI floppy drive??), there is no way

Well, there is such a device as an internal SCSI floppy
but I've only seen them in older Sun Sparc hardware.
I'd be very surprised to see one in a Compaq consumer
product.

| a floppy drive and hard drive can
be on the same cable. Take another
| look, maybe it only appeared to be
one cable is in fact 2 cables
| positioned close together so to
fool some nOObs like you.

I'd go with this poster. You in fact have two cables
which can be hard to see when they're jammed in
to tight areas.

| Better yet, prove you're right by
taking picture oif his computer and
| posting it so we could look for