HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   xkcd, "Digital Resource Lifespan" (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198386)

Yousuf Khan[_2_] November 13th 17 07:39 AM

On 30/10/2017 11:36 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
xkcd, "Digital Resource Lifespan"
https://xkcd.com/1909/

Wow, Randall nailed it ! I have been wondering about the lifespan of
digital formats. This is why I store our LAN backups as mirror images
on hard drives. And worry about the long term viability of NTFS and the
hard drives.

Lynn

It's so true, the actual lifespan of media is inversely proportional to
its initial expected lifespan.

CD-ROMs were already going bad within 2 years of archival, even though
manufacturers bragged they would last 300 years!

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop