HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Old Chips in New Mobo (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=124510)

[email protected] April 7th 06 07:25 PM

Old Chips in New Mobo

I want to upgrade my motherboard to an Asus P4P800-E but I'm not yet
ready to upgrade the CPU nor the Ram (I will upgrade in stages). Will I
have any problems installing the old chips in a new motherboard? Both
are Socket 478, and both take 184-Pin DIMMS. I have an Asus p4pe with 3
PC 2100 DIMMS and a 1.8 mhz Pentium 4.

~ Avery

..

Paul April 7th 06 09:32 PM

Old Chips in New Mobo

In article .com,
wrote:

I want to upgrade my motherboard to an Asus P4P800-E but I'm not yet
ready to upgrade the CPU nor the Ram (I will upgrade in stages). Will I
have any problems installing the old chips in a new motherboard? Both
are Socket 478, and both take 184-Pin DIMMS. I have an Asus p4pe with 3
PC 2100 DIMMS and a 1.8 mhz Pentium 4.

~ Avery

If you use all three DIMMs, the memory will run in virtual single
channel mode. Either using two matched DIMMs, or two matched pairs
of DIMMs, would allow dual channel mode, which will help application
performance a few percent. More details he

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chip...s/25303601.pdf

The CPU support list for your board is here. You can get other info
for the board from support.asus.com.tw .

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppor...=en-us&cache=1

HTH,
Paul