HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Virtual memory explosion (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198519)

Ron Hardin January 5th 18 06:06 PM

Virtual memory explosion

process igfxsrvc.exe seems to own about 2gb of
virtual memory, according to process explorer.
Memory leak?

It's an intel graphics driver I think.

Machine is latitude e5400 from 2011.

Fix?

Ron Hardin January 6th 18 08:28 PM

Virtual memory explosion

Ben Myers wrote:

Yes, that is the Intel graphics driver. But the reason it eats virtual memory is unclear... Ben Myers

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 1:06:38 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
process igfxsrvc.exe seems to own about 2gb of
virtual memory, according to process explorer.
Memory leak?

It's an intel graphics driver I think.

Machine is latitude e5400 from 2011.

Fix?

I can download a newer drive for intel mobile chipset for the E5400 from the dell site
but it doesn't tell me whether to execute it or do something else with it

-rwxr-x---+ 1 rhh None 2398864 Jan 5 13:23 Intel_Mobile-Chipset_A00_R215241.exe

(downloaded but what to do with it)

Ron Hardin January 6th 18 08:29 PM

Virtual memory explosion

Ben Myers wrote:

Yes, that is the Intel graphics driver. But the reason it eats virtual memory is unclear... Ben

Myers

If I kill it the VM use goes away and some time
later it's restarted itself

Then gradually starts eating VM again.

---

Ron Hardin January 9th 18 10:54 PM

Virtual memory explosion

Ron Hardin wrote:
I can download a newer drive for intel mobile chipset for the E5400 from the dell site
but it doesn't tell me whether to execute it or do something else with it

-rwxr-x---+ 1 rhh None 2398864 Jan 5 13:23 Intel_Mobile-Chipset_A00_R215241.exe

(downloaded but what to do with it)

Just running it seems to work. It creates a driver folder that's installed on reboot.

Now it runs at about 1mb instead of growing to 2gb.

Ron Hardin January 11th 18 05:02 PM

Virtual memory explosion

Ben Myers wrote:

Execute it, follow the mindless instructions and reboot after... Ben Myers

Thanks, I did that on speculation that they wouldn't tempt you with something that wouldn't work as expected, and it
seems to have worked okay. The ig*.exe start small and stay small instead of growing to 2gb over a day now.