HardwareBanter

-   Scanners (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Parallel port & SCSI (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=39323)

Walt September 9th 03 05:30 PM

Parallel port & SCSI

I have an older HP scanner, and it has a DB25 connector for SCSI.
A DB25 connector is just one standard for SCSI and it is true, a
DB25 connector is also used for parallel printer ports.

SCSI can also be daisy changed and why there is second DB25 connector
on your scanner.

wrote:

... it has a SCSI interface with a SCSI
card included, but looking at the scanner, it appears to have a
parallel port interface(right number of pins), including a connector
with a printer symbol, presumably for sharing the parallel port. Can
anyone explain this seeming contradiction?

CJT September 9th 03 07:07 PM

Walt wrote:

I have an older HP scanner, and it has a DB25 connector for SCSI.
A DB25 connector is just one standard for SCSI and it is true, a
DB25 connector is also used for parallel printer ports.

I don't think DB25 is standard for SCSI, but it _was_ used, standard
or not.

Mac McDougald September 10th 03 09:42 AM

In article , says...
Walt wrote:

I have an older HP scanner, and it has a DB25 connector for SCSI.
A DB25 connector is just one standard for SCSI and it is true, a
DB25 connector is also used for parallel printer ports.

I don't think DB25 is standard for SCSI, but it _was_ used, standard
or not.

Well, was as "standard" as any other SCSI port. My HP IIcx has one (also
has Centronics) and the first SCSI Zip drives use the 25pin connector.
Also my Macintosh Power PC 4400/200 has that connector as it's SCSI out
port.

Mac

Martin K. R. September 10th 03 10:39 AM

"Walt" wrote in message ...
I have an older HP scanner, and it has a DB25 connector for SCSI.
A DB25 connector is just one standard for SCSI and it is true, a
DB25 connector is also used for parallel printer ports.

SCSI can also be daisy changed and why there is second DB25 connector
on your scanner.

Yes, these scanners were only SCSI. And I'm not even sure you can get it
working with a standard SCSI board in your PC. You are probably 'locked' to
the SCSI board that came with the scanner. In those days that wasn't
unusual - even HP delivered scanners with proprietary SCSI boards.

Martin

Cyborg-haf September 10th 03 10:34 PM

Reading the linked Calcomp Manual, the scanner is scsi model, not a parallel
port model. All he needs is scsi card and scsi cable with proper end
connectors for card and scanner. The two ports on the scanner are for
connection to the card and connection to any scsi device daisy-chained to
it.
Herb
"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:30:37 -0400, Walt wrote:

wrote:

... it has a SCSI interface with a SCSI
card included, but looking at the scanner, it appears to have a
parallel port interface(right number of pins), including a connector
with a printer symbol, presumably for sharing the parallel port. Can
anyone explain this seeming contradiction?

I have an older HP scanner, and it has a DB25 connector for SCSI.
A DB25 connector is just one standard for SCSI and it is true, a
DB25 connector is also used for parallel printer ports.

SCSI can also be daisy changed and why there is second DB25 connector
on your scanner.

His scanner probably connects to a printer port, as mine does. The second
DB25 is to allow a parallel printer to be used on the same port.

I have a SCSI external hard drive unit that connects to the computer by a

printer
port.

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

[email protected] September 11th 03 06:47 PM

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 02:59:33 +1000, Barry OGrady
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:34:19 -0400, "Cyborg-haf" wrote:

Reading the linked Calcomp Manual, the scanner is scsi model, not a parallel
port model. All he needs is scsi card and scsi cable with proper end
connectors for card and scanner. The two ports on the scanner are for
connection to the card and connection to any scsi device daisy-chained to
it.

Why the printer symbol?

My scanner connects to a printer port. The second DB25 is to allow a parallel
printer to be used on the same port.

I have a SCSI external hard drive unit that connects to the computer by a
printer port.

-Barry

I'm being confused by the words you're using.
Is your SCSI external hard drive actually connected through a printer
(parallel) port, or using a DB25 connector?
--
Bill
Replace "g" with "a"