HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   FF and SM with Native Printing Support (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=189338)

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard July 28th 11 03:01 PM

FF and SM with Native Printing Support

3) the BIOS allows me to select APIC & IOAPIC, both are selected, even
though I do not run ACPI

It's easy to confuse ACPI with APIC, but the twain are quite different
things. Enabling local APICs and I/O APICs is what one wants with an
SMP operating system. (Strictly speaking, if one doesn't have APICs,
then one isn't doing *symmetric* multiprocessing, because when using the
old PC/AT dual 8259 PICs interrupts are only routed to the "boot"
processor.) Although an SMP operating system should be capable (in most
circumstances) of enabling the use of the APICs itself, even if the
firmware didn't enable them.

2) the BIOS allows me to select SMP table of: 1.1 or 1.4, I have
1.4 selected

Actually, it's the MPS table. Again, don't confuse the twain. The
differences between 1.1 and 1.4 are very probably irrelevant for OS/2 or
for your machine.