HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Compact storage server or storage tower w/ 8 Bays (Min) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=187483)

Gaiko January 16th 11 06:52 PM

Compact storage server or storage tower w/ 8 Bays (Min)

I am trying to find an 8bay (minimum) storage tower that doesn't take
up a ton of space *and* doesn't cost a fortune. The best option would
be a minimally sized self contained box like a via box I read about
(but can't find for sale) (http://www.mswhs.com/2009/10/via-nsd-7800-
review/)

The second best option is a tower that has a basic (JBOD, no raid
needed since I plan on using ZFS) 8 disk controller (8 dsk ctrlr so I
don't have to have mult eSATA cables). I haven't found anything like
this yet.

The third best/least preferable is the options are what I have found
already is the Rosewill RSV-S8 and the SANS DIGITAL TR8U but they are
more than i need (don't need raid if I'm using ZFS).

If I go the storage tower route (ie with no mobo/microproc, unlike the
via solution) then I will need to invest in a computer as well and
since I am looking for compact I was looking at mini-computers.
Problem is I would need something that has a minimum of 2 eSATA ports
or can accept a eSATA card and most of them look like they don't have
this integrated and are too small to take a card; I am sure there is
one out there, I just can't seem to find it.

I am not looking to spend much on this, max $450 which also limits my
options (that is $450 for Storage Tower + Mini-Comp **or** $450 for
full compact 8-bay storage server). Any recommendations for hardware
that fits my needs would *really* be appreciated or if there is some
compact/affordable option that would allow me to install OpenSolaris/
FreeBSD/FreeNAS I'm all ears! (please don't suggest a monster Drobo,
I'd have to put out a 3rd mortgage just to put a down payment for one
of those things)

-One box solution (server) or two box solution (mini-comp + storage
tower)
-8 Bay Minimum
-Cheap (~$450, willing to sacrifce performance)
-Preferably something with a 8 port controller (so I don't have to run
multiple eSATA cables)

Cheers,

-Gaiko