HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Upgrading a DELL Latitude Notebook 700MHz Laptop 128MB (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=16178)

Daniel October 2nd 03 09:53 PM

Upgrading a DELL Latitude Notebook 700MHz Laptop 128MB

I just bought a DELL Latitude Notebook celeron 700MHz Laptop 128MB. My
question are - can I
a)replace the cpu with a celeron 950 or 1000mhz
b) add another stick of 256MB centon or generic lapto memory PC100
c) What is the cheapest way of adding a NIC
d) Is there a cheap way of upgrading the VGA to more than 8MB
e) Are there issues of non compatiability that would crop up if I put
in aa higher than 10GB hard drive?

Thanks in advance

Shepİ October 2nd 03 10:03 PM

On 2 Oct 2003 13:53:37 -0700, In this world we created
(Daniel) wrote :

I just bought a DELL Latitude Notebook celeron 700MHz Laptop 128MB. My
question are - can I
a)replace the cpu with a celeron 950 or 1000mhz

Possibly but the boost in power may not be worth the expense IMHO.

b) add another stick of 256MB centon or generic lapto memory PC100

Again possibly and always a good move depending on your O/S and usage.

c) What is the cheapest way of adding a NIC

Buying a cheap onegrin :D

d) Is there a cheap way of upgrading the VGA to more than 8MB

Dunno.See at end.

e) Are there issues of non compatiability that would crop up if I put
in aa higher than 10GB hard drive?

Best asked on here,

alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply :)

JT October 3rd 03 01:03 AM

On 2 Oct 2003 13:53:37 -0700, (Daniel)
wrote:

I just bought a DELL Latitude Notebook celeron 700MHz Laptop 128MB. My
question are - can I
a)replace the cpu with a celeron 950 or 1000mhz

not easily. Mobile celeron is different, and not easy to replace and not
cheap if you can get it in the proper carrier.
b) add another stick of 256MB centon or generic lapto memory PC100

Just don't go too cheap. Better ram means less likelyhood of errors, and it
might run faster. PC133 is probably just as cheap and more available.
c) What is the cheapest way of adding a NIC

Get one of the numerous 10/100 PCMCIA or Cardbus adapters.
d) Is there a cheap way of upgrading the VGA to more than 8MB

No
e) Are there issues of non compatiability that would crop up if I put
in aa higher than 10GB hard drive?

Probably no issues till you get to 30GB, and then you might need to upgrade
the bios, which will get you up to 128GB. Might want to make sure the Bios
is the latest anyway if you want to run Win2K/XP/Linux on it.

Thanks in advance

spodosaurus October 3rd 03 07:24 AM

Daniel wrote:
I just bought a DELL Latitude Notebook celeron 700MHz Laptop 128MB. My
question are - can I
a)replace the cpu with a celeron 950 or 1000mhz
b) add another stick of 256MB centon or generic lapto memory PC100
c) What is the cheapest way of adding a NIC
d) Is there a cheap way of upgrading the VGA to more than 8MB
e) Are there issues of non compatiability that would crop up if I put
in aa higher than 10GB hard drive?

Thanks in advance

For the ram and hdd, check the manual. It can be downloaded from dell
or from another site that's held onto the old .pdf file. Dell may have
released a bios upgrade to allow for some upgrades, but then again,
maybe not. You'll have to hit the Dell website and google to find out.

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Daniel October 3rd 03 08:31 AM

Thanks for your replies
a) I have looked all around for documentation on the CPU and there is
NOTHING showing that what is in the system is the MOBILE CPU. Thus the
reason of asking if I could swap with the regular 950 or 1000MHZ CPU
going for $37 (for Celeron 1GHz) and $45 (for the Celeron
950)(www.Pricewatch.com). Does any one know better?

b) I looked at Kingston Technology memory (higher value) and they had
a warning saying the Laptop version of their PC133 ($46 for 256MB
stick) was NOT backward compatiable to PC100 ($76 for 256MB stick).
Any one with a different experience?

c) Thanks for the tip on upgrading the BIOS. I got C600_A23.exe [323
KB] Release Date: 7/17/2003. Now If only I could get a cheaper high
capacity laptop hard drive!

d) My laptop does not have a NIC. What would you suggest i get? Dell
wanted me to get their ethernet/56K combo for $155!

Thanks again for your comments

JT October 3rd 03 12:02 PM

On 3 Oct 2003 00:31:20 -0700, (Daniel)
wrote:

Thanks for your replies
a) I have looked all around for documentation on the CPU and there is
NOTHING showing that what is in the system is the MOBILE CPU. Thus the
reason of asking if I could swap with the regular 950 or 1000MHZ CPU
going for $37 (for Celeron 1GHz) and $45 (for the Celeron
950)(
www.Pricewatch.com). Does any one know better?

I have a Dell Latitude p3 500, and have looked at others. They all used a
mobile variation, or a processor soldered on a carrier. Not a drop in
replacement. what model exactly is this Laptop. Makes a difference. On a
laptop, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in performance of the
faster processor, and there is the hassle of disassembly/reassembly. Not
that easy.

b) I looked at Kingston Technology memory (higher value) and they had
a warning saying the Laptop version of their PC133 ($46 for 256MB
stick) was NOT backward compatiable to PC100 ($76 for 256MB stick).
Any one with a different experience?

I would probably go with Crucial for the memory, but the problem they are
addressing is some of the older chipsets that could not use high density
ram. Shouldn't be a problem with this laptop, but if you order using the
Crucial selector they guarantee compatibility.

c) Thanks for the tip on upgrading the BIOS. I got C600_A23.exe [323
KB] Release Date: 7/17/2003. Now If only I could get a cheaper high
capacity laptop hard drive!

d) My laptop does not have a NIC. What would you suggest i get? Dell
wanted me to get their ethernet/56K combo for $155!

Get any of the cheap 10/100 Cardbus or PCMCIA adapters available. Any
should work. The expensive one Dell is trying to sell you is the Xircom.
Available at PC Liquidators for $29.99
http://www.pcliquidator.com/detailproduct.asp?which=823

Thanks again for your comments

JT