HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Double-sided printing puzzle (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199422)

David Harper[_2_] February 14th 19 02:12 PM

Double-sided printing puzzle

I have used several different all-in-one printers over the years (mostly
Canon). They all did two-sided printing the same way: print the odd page
numbers first, then ask the user to take those printed pages and turn them
around and put them back in the input paper tray to have the even numbered
pages printed on the back of the odd numbered pages.

My latest, cheap Canon all-in-one printer, MG3600, does it differently in a
way I can't figure out how it does it!

This new printer when printing double-sided will print page one, then pull
the page back into the printer and print page 2 on the back of page one. How
does it do that?

- David Harper

Bob Eager[_5_] February 14th 19 02:52 PM

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 08:12:59 -0600, David Harper wrote:

I have used several different all-in-one printers over the years (mostly
Canon). They all did two-sided printing the same way: print the odd page
numbers first, then ask the user to take those printed pages and turn
them around and put them back in the input paper tray to have the even
numbered pages printed on the back of the odd numbered pages.

My latest, cheap Canon all-in-one printer, MG3600, does it differently
in a way I can't figure out how it does it!

This new printer when printing double-sided will print page one, then
pull the page back into the printer and print page 2 on the back of page
one. How does it do that?

Probably in a similar way to the duplexer on my old HP. Suck the page
back in, then run it to a holding area (probably round a roller), then
back into the input area the other way up.

Percival P. Cassidy February 14th 19 04:37 PM

On 2/14/19 9:12 AM, David Harper wrote:

I have used several different all-in-one printers over the years (mostly
Canon). They all did two-sided printing the same way: print the odd page
numbers first, then ask the user to take those printed pages and turn
them around and put them back in the input paper tray to have the even
numbered pages printed on the back of the odd numbered pages.

My latest, cheap Canon all-in-one printer, MG3600, does it differently
in a way I can't figure out how it does it!

This new printer when printing double-sided will print page one, then
pull the page back into the printer and print page 2 on the back of page
one. How does it do that?

That's how my ancient HP LaserJet 2200D (basically Canon innards, IIRC)
does it. In the case of certain kinds of paper jam, if you pull out the
tray (top tray, if there's more than one) you get access to a catch that
releases a metal tray into which the pulled-back page has been fed
(printed side down), ready to be fed back through the printer (blank
side down) for the second side to be printed.

Mine is rather noisy, with various relays and solenoids doing their
thing to "steer" the paper in the right direction. They may have found a
quieter way by now.

Perce

Percival P. Cassidy February 15th 19 01:57 AM

On 2/14/19 11:37 AM, I wrote:

[...]

Sorry! for "down" read "up."