HardwareBanter

-   Scanners (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   how to get the best scan (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=97306)

Husky May 15th 05 01:47 AM

how to get the best scan

Without spending an arm and leg for a scanner.
I went and got the hp PSC 1315v psc=printer, scanner, copier] all in one.
It does all three, and the only gripe so far was some banding [someone called
Moire] on some magazine scans.

Without a magnifying glass, it's not real noticeable. But it is there.

I'm thinking I have a bargain scanner, and the default settings may be the best
I can hope for.

Couple things I did change on an image below
Output type: Millions of Colors
Output dimensions: 1358 x 1975 pixels
File Size: 7.86MB
Resolution: 200dpi
Scale: 100%

was the
sharpening from medium to none
resolution from 200 all the way to 1200
with and without de screen.

And the 1200 res came up to 1.2 gigs after scanning.
From the smallest 200 res no sharpen, no de screen to the 1200 res sharpen
medium, de screen there wasn't really that much visible difference to waste the
time scanning above the defaults.

Is there anything else I might be able to try to get these scans to look more
like the originals in the magazines.

MCheu May 15th 05 02:51 AM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:47:30 -0400, Husky wrote:

Without spending an arm and leg for a scanner.
I went and got the hp PSC 1315v psc=printer, scanner, copier] all in one.
It does all three, and the only gripe so far was some banding [someone called
Moire] on some magazine scans.

Without a magnifying glass, it's not real noticeable. But it is there.

I'm thinking I have a bargain scanner, and the default settings may be the best
I can hope for.

You can eliminate (or at least minimize) that with a little "post
production" work in a photo editing program like paintshop pro or
photoshop. Even the cheap $50 photo editors (and a few freeware ones)
have moire removal or "soften" features. It's basically a slight
blurring of the image.

On newer printers with "moire correction" features, it's usually done
the same way via the driver. The difference being that the photo
editor programs tend to do a better job and are ALWAYS faster.

You aren't missing much without this particular feature.

Another trick you can use for scanning magazines that helps a lot is
to slip a piece of black paper behind the page you're scanning. It
helps prevent "bleed through" of the text and images from the opposite
side and the following page.

MCheu

CSM1 May 15th 05 03:43 AM

"Husky" wrote in message
[...]

From the smallest 200 res no sharpen, no de screen to the 1200 res sharpen
medium, de screen there wasn't really that much visible difference to

waste the
time scanning above the defaults.

Is there anything else I might be able to try to get these scans to look

more
like the originals in the magazines.

Scanning Images in Books/Magazines/Newspapers (three pages on the subject).
http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

If your scanner TWAIN driver does not have a "descreen" function.
Manual Descreen methods
http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

--
CSM1