HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Printing gray (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=191582)

ss June 7th 12 05:46 PM

Printing gray

On my black ink it is printing gray, installed a new black ink cartridge
and have unchecked grayscale. Cartridge is full of ink.

Anything else I can do to sort this?

Gernot Hassenpflug[_3_] June 8th 12 04:38 AM

Printing gray

ss writes:

On my black ink it is printing gray, installed a new black ink
cartridge and have unchecked grayscale. Cartridge is full of ink.

Is this an old thread, or did you not provide any information on your
printer at all? That would be helpful!

Possibilities:

1) if test pattern looks bad, you have blocked nozzles preventing good
coverage. So you should clean the printhead. If the printhead is on
the cartridge, this will not apply to a new cartridge.

1) if black looks gray, you could be using a really low-quality draft
mode, which always looks gray rather than black. Try a higher
quality.

3) you could be using composite black instead of real black, which
again looks gray since it is made up of CMY color.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug

ss June 8th 12 08:06 AM

Printing gray

On 08/06/2012 04:38, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
writes:

On my black ink it is printing gray, installed a new black ink
cartridge and have unchecked grayscale. Cartridge is full of ink.

Is this an old thread, or did you not provide any information on your
printer at all? That would be helpful!

Possibilities:

1) if test pattern looks bad, you have blocked nozzles preventing good
coverage. So you should clean the printhead. If the printhead is on
the cartridge, this will not apply to a new cartridge.

1) if black looks gray, you could be using a really low-quality draft
mode, which always looks gray rather than black. Try a higher
quality.

3) you could be using composite black instead of real black, which
again looks gray since it is made up of CMY color.

Apologies, it is an HP 1317 all in one printer/scanner.
The colour cartridge appears to print ok although it lacks
`brightness`when printing colour (maybe not the correct word) due to
what appears to be a lack of black ink being used in the production of
the picture.
The test pattern is ok.
The printhead is on the cartridge.
I will check your other points.

ss June 8th 12 01:11 PM

Printing gray

writes:

[...]

Update.....
I got tough with it and gave the print head a good clean with cleaner
and now printing again, it must have been a blockage. I was on hols for
3 weeks and maybe it dried up a little in the `jets`.

Rob[_16_] June 8th 12 02:25 PM

Printing gray

writes:

[...]

Interesting that you could print a test pattern which you say was OK.

Then clean the heads to rectify the problem.

I suggest that you find a decent test chart to check the nozzles.

Even if one nozzle is down on mine it will upset the balance not sure
what pattern HP print I have an Epson printer.

Ill dig some up and post the URL tomorrow.

ss June 8th 12 03:46 PM

Printing gray

writes:

[...]

I was never happy with the test pattern with HP so done my own which
allows me to see the colours so I could understand them. When I ran this
the tri colours were fine but the black was gray and there was no
streaky lines to indicate a `dirty` nozzle. Thats what was confusing me.
But as mentioned now sorted.

Rob[_16_] June 9th 12 09:10 AM

Printing gray

On 9/06/2012 12:46 AM, ss wrote: