HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Compaq Armada 110 Laptop - Repair Help (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=153648)

[email protected] July 7th 07 04:58 AM

Compaq Armada 110 Laptop - Repair Help

Hi All,

I have a laptop here that the user reports is dead. No lights at power
on or any signs of life.

The power adapter is outputting the correct volatge - check it with a
multi meter.

So I found the service manual and took the laptop apart, and when I
put the power plug in the led on the motherboard came to life, so I
put it back together and it booted into windows XP - yay.

Then to be sure I tried to boot it again and it wouldnt boot at all,
no power led's, but now I do hear the HDD spool up and the light on
the side of the CD tray comes on.

Something is clearly wrong, but I have not really tried to repair too
many laptops before. I was doing some reading on repairing laptops,
and I think I should start with finding the volatge regulator and
seeing if it is putting out the right voltages?

Love to hear any other thoughts on how to try to fix this.

-Al

Edward C. July 7th 07 05:24 AM

Compaq Armada 110 Laptop - Repair Help

The power supply needs to be changed. Unless you want to repair it
yourself. Whatever is cheaper for you.

-Edward

[email protected] July 7th 07 06:03 AM

On Jul 6, 8:58 pm, wrote:

[...]

-Al- Hide quoted text -

Hmm, you mean the power side of the circuit inside the laptop? Its
part of the main system board, so no easily replaceable.

The PSU caps incidentially look ok.

Dave Taylor July 8th 07 08:18 AM

Compaq Armada 110 Laptop - Repair Help

wrote in news:1183784580.574342.248650
@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Hmm, you mean the power side of the circuit inside the laptop? Its
part of the main system board, so no easily replaceable.

The PSU caps incidentially look ok.

I think he means the brick. When you checked the output voltage, was it
just by itself or loaded? Those kind of power supplies can put out rated
voltage at no load, and then break when the laptop needs some Amps.

--
Ciao, Dave

kony July 8th 07 04:32 PM

Compaq Armada 110 Laptop - Repair Help

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 03:58:23 -0000,
wrote:

[...]

Yes, failing any more obvious evidence of the source of the
problem, you might start by checking the AC-DC brick's
voltage output while it's powering the laptop, then take the
(meter) probes and probe around following the brick power
circuit through the mainboard power regulation stages.

Since it did boot once, then failed again after being put
back together, also check for intermittent electrical
connections and circuit board cracks & broken solder joints.
It might help to have a strong light during an examination.