HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mozy online backup (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=118894)

Steve February 1st 06 01:55 PM

Mozy online backup

Has anyone tried Mozy online backup? Any comments? Looks like
they're pretty straightforward about the downside, but maybe there's
some other hidden crap?

"Here's the catch - aside from the good karma we get for offering a
great free service, every once in a while we get to send you email
advertisements for products and services that we think are useful.
(We'll never give your email address to an advertiser - any emails
will come straight through us.)"

http://mozy.com

--

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children.
Now I have six children and no theories.

....John Wilmot

olfart February 1st 06 03:34 PM

Mozy online backup

"Steve" wrote in message
Has anyone tried Mozy online backup? Any comments? Looks like
they're pretty straightforward about the downside, but maybe there's
some other hidden crap?

"Here's the catch - aside from the good karma we get for offering a
great free service, every once in a while we get to send you email
advertisements for products and services that we think are useful.
(We'll never give your email address to an advertiser - any emails
will come straight through us.)"

http://mozy.com

--

They are new, beta, and relying on advertising to pay their bills.
If they go belly up.....so does your saved data.

Notan February 1st 06 03:51 PM

Mozy online backup

olfart wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
Has anyone tried Mozy online backup? Any comments? Looks like
they're pretty straightforward about the downside, but maybe there's
some other hidden crap?

"Here's the catch - aside from the good karma we get for offering a
great free service, every once in a while we get to send you email
advertisements for products and services that we think are useful.
(We'll never give your email address to an advertiser - any emails
will come straight through us.)"

http://mozy.com

--

They are new, beta, and relying on advertising to pay their bills.
If they go belly up.....so does your saved data.
I would never allow a third party to store any of my data. CDR's are dirt
cheap and ext HD's get cheaper every day

One of the nice things about online backups is the option to download
data while on the road.

Personally, I use IBackup (http://www.ibackup.com).

Notan

Nicholas Andrade February 2nd 06 06:31 AM

Mozy online backup

Notan wrote:
olfart wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I find OpenSSH and forwarding port 22 on my router works just as well.
In fact I like it better because it's extremely secure (only a man in
the middle attack could work, and I know my server's fingerprints), and
I have access to all the computers behind my router. Furthermore, I can
forward any ports for any other services I may need (eg. VNC).