HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Help! Need advice on Canon i860 BCI-3e config (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=161567)

[email protected] December 8th 07 02:42 AM

Help! Need advice on Canon i860 BCI-3e config

I have a Canon i860 Bubblejet with the Canon Print Manager software/driver
Ver8.03
on an old Win98 machine. Each time I try to print black text, it insists on
printing from
the BCI-6 Black cartridge (small) instead of the BCI-3e Black
(plenty of ink there). I have been through the configuration settings
(gray-scale, text, etc.)
and can't seem to get it to use the BCI-3e. Any advice?

Thanks!

Taliesyn December 8th 07 03:02 AM

wrote:

I have a Canon i860 Bubblejet with the Canon Print Manager software/driver
Ver8.03
on an old Win98 machine. Each time I try to print black text, it insists on
printing from
the BCI-6 Black cartridge (small) instead of the BCI-3e Black
(plenty of ink there). I have been through the configuration settings
(gray-scale, text, etc.)
and can't seem to get it to use the BCI-3e. Any advice?

Thanks!

You didn't mention how you were able to tell which cartridge was being
used?

I can tell you that BCI-3e ink (OEM or true pigment aftermarket) is near
waterproof while BCI-6 is not. So if you wet a BCI-3e printout it will
stay sharp. If BCI-6 black was used the ink will to feather and lose
sharpness.

-Taliesyn

measekite December 8th 07 04:36 AM

Help! Need advice on Canon i860 BCI-3e config

Win 98 and the supporting hardware is to obsolete to bother with.  Microsoft stopped supporting is ions ago.  It is almost like asking a question about a typewriter.

measekite December 8th 07 04:37 AM

Taliesyn wrote:
wrote:

I have a Canon i860 Bubblejet with the Canon Print Manager
software/driver
Ver8.03
on an old Win98 machine. Each time I try to print black text, it
insists on
printing from
the BCI-6 Black cartridge (small) instead of the BCI-3e Black
(plenty of ink there). I have been through the configuration settings
(gray-scale, text, etc.) and can't seem to get it to use the BCI-3e.
Any advice?

Thanks!

You didn't mention how you were able to tell which cartridge was being
used?

I can tell you that BCI-3e ink (OEM or true pigment aftermarket)

nothing aftermarket is true.
is near
waterproof while BCI-6 is not.

near waterproof means it is not waterproof. that is like almost pregnant.

Taliesyn December 8th 07 02:57 PM

measekite wrote:

Win 98 and the supporting hardware is to obsolete to bother with.
Microsoft stopped supporting is ions ago. It is almost like asking a
question about a typewriter.

I doubt that very much. "Ions" are atoms that have acquired a net
electrical charge. An "eon" is a geological unit of time. Microsoft has
never created software down to the atomic level. If you want to be
believed in anything you say you better get your words right.

-Taliesyn

Taliesyn December 8th 07 03:05 PM

measekite wrote:

Taliesyn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Of course things can be near waterproof. Spill water on a page printed
with BCI-3e, wipe it dry and it's fine. Do the same with BCI-6 ink and
it's smudged. Capisce?

-Taliesyn

[email protected] December 8th 07 04:28 PM

Help! Need advice on Canon i860 BCI-3e config

Thanks for the help (for those that have something constructive)
My first observation was the rapid decrease in BCI-6 ink when I use the printer
primarily to print black text (95% of time).
Also, I replaced all the cartridges at the same time (3 months ago), and the
BCI-6 Black is near empty while the BCI-3e is full.
I tried the water test, and the ink does feather, which would indicate
the BCI-6 is being used.

Measekite, I appreciate your comments on my operating system, however:
1. I was interested in troubleshooting a printer problem, which is why
I posted a request in the PRINTERS group.
2. My Windows 98 OS has not ceased to function, so I intend to continue using
it. It does what I need, thus it does not require fixing. Last time I checked,
Canon states that the printer is compatible with Win98.

In article , Taliesyn says...

Mickey December 8th 07 04:35 PM

wrote:
I have a Canon i860 Bubblejet with the Canon Print Manager software/driver
Ver8.03
on an old Win98 machine. Each time I try to print black text, it insists on
printing from
the BCI-6 Black cartridge (small) instead of the BCI-3e Black
(plenty of ink there). I have been through the configuration settings
(gray-scale, text, etc.)
and can't seem to get it to use the BCI-3e. Any advice?

Thanks!

Don't have much to offer but I do have the same printer and was using
W98 a yr ago. Never had a problem with wrong blk ink usage.

What you your printer settings, i.e. paper used, print qlty, gray scale
setting etc.? Oh does this happen with all SW applications or just one?

Mickey

DanG December 8th 07 07:24 PM

wrote in message ...
I have a Canon i860 Bubblejet with the Canon Print Manager software/driver
Ver8.03
on an old Win98 machine. Each time I try to print black text, it insists
on
printing from
the BCI-6 Black cartridge (small) instead of the BCI-3e Black
(plenty of ink there). I have been through the configuration settings
(gray-scale, text, etc.)
and can't seem to get it to use the BCI-3e. Any advice?

Thanks!

The Canon will use photo black when you use duplex mode, or if you select
anything other than plain paper.

measekite December 9th 07 12:41 AM

Taliesyn wrote:
measekite wrote:

Win 98 and the supporting hardware is to obsolete to bother with.
Microsoft stopped supporting is ions ago. It is almost like asking a
question about a typewriter.

I doubt that very much. "Ions" are atoms that have acquired a net
electrical charge. An "eon" is a geological unit of time. Microsoft has
never created software down to the atomic level. If you want to be
believed in anything you say you better get your words right.

-Taliesyn

When did you get into the 7th grade.