HardwareBanter

-   Creative Sound Blaster Cards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Creative 5.1 audio cable (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=90585)

MisterChiversRegal March 3rd 05 07:56 PM

Creative 5.1 audio cable

Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the 3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema style ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these? If not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

Sharanga Dayananda March 3rd 05 08:58 PM

MisterChiversRegal wrote:
Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the 3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema style ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these? If not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

I think some Sony camcorders use the same cable.

Sharanga Dayananda March 3rd 05 09:00 PM

MisterChiversRegal wrote:
Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the 3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema style ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these? If not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

http://tinyurl.com/4xr4g OR
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=14&doy=1 8m2

Should be what yer looking for though the colour coding may be a bit off.

Sharanga Dayananda March 3rd 05 09:02 PM

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
MisterChiversRegal wrote:

Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the 3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative
Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I
search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema
style ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these?
If not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

http://tinyurl.com/4xr4g OR
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=14&doy=1 8m2

Should be what yer looking for though the colour coding may be a bit off.

You'll need a phono to mini-plug convertor if yer connecting to vanilla
PC cables though.

MisterChiversRegal March 3rd 05 09:24 PM

"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message
MisterChiversRegal wrote:
Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the

3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative

Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I

search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema style

ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these? If

not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

http://tinyurl.com/4xr4g OR

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=14&doy=1 8m2

Should be what yer looking for though the colour coding may be a bit off.

Thanks, Sharanga. That is fine.

MisterChiversRegal March 3rd 05 09:26 PM

MisterChiversRegal wrote:
[...]

Oops, actually.. no. The cables on the Creative speakers are like 3 x
miniplug to 3 x miniplug. I think these may be a little too different. :)

Thanks all the same though.

Folk March 4th 05 05:12 PM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:56:21 -0000, "MisterChiversRegal"
wrote:

Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the 3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema style ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these? If not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

I figure you could just get three bog-standard mini-plug cables and
wrap a bit of tape around them if you like. I doubt there's anything
special, besides the color coding and the fact that they're bundled
together.

Sharanga Dayananda March 4th 05 09:02 PM

Hi
Oops, actually.. no. The cables on the Creative speakers are like 3 x
miniplug to 3 x miniplug. I think these may be a little too different. :)

You can use mini-plug to phono converter plugs on them and they should
work fine.

You need three cables and 9 phono to mini-plug converters.

Sharanga Dayananda March 4th 05 09:05 PM

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
Hi

Oops, actually.. no. The cables on the Creative speakers are like 3 x
miniplug to 3 x miniplug. I think these may be a little too different. :)

You can use mini-plug to phono converter plugs on them and they should
work fine.

You need three cables and 9 phono to mini-plug converters.

Oops! Sorry. My bad.

You need two of these cables which'll give you all the channels except
the front two (centre-sub-rear left-rear right-surround left-surround
right). Out of these you use 2xphono to single mini-plug adapters (like
when connecting a PC to a stereo using analogue connectors) and you use
'em on the two additional outputs. For the the front two channels you
just use a vanilla mini-plug to phono converter.

MisterChiversRegal March 4th 05 10:48 PM

wrote:

Are the 5.1 audio cables that come with Creative Inspire speakers (the 3x
mini-plug - orange, lime green and black type) exclusive to Creative

Labs?
As I don't know what to actually search for on the net to buy one. I

search
for '5.1 audio cable' and the only ones I see are the home cinema style

ones
with the 6 inputs for all the speakers. Do only Creative sell these? If

not,
where can I buy one from (UK if poss) and what do I actually ask for?

Thanks for any input.

I figure you could just get three bog-standard mini-plug cables and
wrap a bit of tape around them if you like. I doubt there's anything
special, besides the color coding and the fact that they're bundled
together.

Yes, I suspected that this may be a good option - failing all else.

I'm not sure if they are exclusive to Creative - I think a lot of brands use
them for PC based surround speakers - so you would have thought you could
buy them from a good outlet. Maplin and Micro Direct in Manchester are the
two best shops I know of for this kinda stuff - and they don't sell them.
Maybe your way is the best way to do this. Thank you.