HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Dead Presario 17XL265 Use HD in other Presario 17** ? Help! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=98330)

Rich May 26th 05 05:42 AM

Dead Presario 17XL265 Use HD in other Presario 17** ? Help!

Hi all!

I have a compaq 17XL265 (700mhz PIII I believe) laptop which suffered
the dreaded presario 'white out'. After monkeying around inside the
case it appears the plug 'socket' where the LCD video cable attaches
worked its way out of the board. Rather than get it soldered or send it
out to get it soldered (and to avoid frying anything else) I've been
hunting through ebay.

I'm thinking of picking up a working 1700/17XL laptop then swapping out
its hard drive for my hard drive so I can access my hard drive's data,
operating system, etc...

Does this sound "do-able"? If so - what am I looking at, what will I
need to do? The one thing I can think of is setting the new machine's
BIOS to recognize my drive's layout. I obviously don't want to do
anything which will 'wipe' my drive's data! (I try really hard not to
be a duhmonkey).

Even more importantly - what models of presario 1700 could be used? I'm
confused on the difference between the 198689-001 motherboard and the
other one I've seen (starts with a "2"). Mine's a PIII - is the other
setup for AMD or a Celeron??

Or - is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance!