HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Going to install fresh (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=126379)

journey May 5th 06 08:15 AM

Going to install fresh

My 630m hangs for 75 seconds on the welcome screen right after the
Windows startup music sounds. I don't know what is causing it. I did
logging and the file shows that it is looking for the same drivers
over and over but Google searches didn't help much.

So, I was considering doing installing fresh without the bloatware and
this is a good time.

Basically I think what I need to do is:

- Download the current drivers to CD

- Boot from the install disk which may give me the option to wipe out
my main partition.

- That will install a fresh copy of Windows

- Install drivers.

Does anyone know if I can use an install disk from a different
computer. If I would want XP Media Center on a laptop that currently
has XP Home, can I use the other computers install disk?

Journey

Clark Martin May 5th 06 02:03 PM

Going to install fresh

Hi Journey,

I can't answer your question but I have a couple of my own.

Why aren't the drivers on the install disk provided by Dell?
How do you know which drivers to download?

Clark

Tom Scales May 5th 06 02:15 PM

Going to install fresh

"journey" wrote in message
My 630m hangs for 75 seconds on the welcome screen right after the
Windows startup music sounds. I don't know what is causing it. I did
logging and the file shows that it is looking for the same drivers
over and over but Google searches didn't help much.

So, I was considering doing installing fresh without the bloatware and
this is a good time.

Basically I think what I need to do is:

- Download the current drivers to CD

- Boot from the install disk which may give me the option to wipe out
my main partition.

- That will install a fresh copy of Windows

- Install drivers.

Does anyone know if I can use an install disk from a different
computer. If I would want XP Media Center on a laptop that currently
has XP Home, can I use the other computers install disk?

Journey

- Legally no.
- Practically, probably no.

MCE is different from Dell's version of Home and Pro in that it isn't BIOS
locked and will still require a proper key

Tom Scales May 5th 06 02:51 PM

Going to install fresh

They never are. They'd have to cut new disks daily.

You just download the latest ones from support.dell.com

.. .

Mike Marquis May 5th 06 03:06 PM

Going to install fresh

Uh, Tom. My MCE DVD will install on ANY recent Dell without a key.

Mike

.. .

Tom Scales May 5th 06 03:38 PM

Going to install fresh

Really. Mine won't. How interesting. I might have to try it again. Mine
is from my Inspiron 9300, so perhaps it was because I tried it on a desktop,
but.....

Tom
"Mike Marquis" wrote in message
Uh, Tom. My MCE DVD will install on ANY recent Dell without a key.

Mike

.. .

Phil May 5th 06 05:35 PM

Going to install fresh

Yes, you can use whatever install disk you like. There is nothing special
about Dell hardware that would require a specially prepared install CD/DVD.
To save some time, consider partitioning your harddrive and storing all your
drivers on a partition other than C:. That way, you have everything you'll
need on first boot. One more thing: it's always best to start by installing
your chipset drivers, before anything else. On all my machines, Windows is
the only thing I have on my C: drive, in order to simplify the
reformat/reinstall process. Doing this means you never have to worry about
your personal files and data, if you need to do a last minute
reformat/install.

-phil

Tom Scales May 5th 06 06:32 PM

Going to install fresh

While that is true, Dell CD/DVDs usually have some drivers slipstreamed.
For example, their SP2 CD has the SATA drivers so you don't have to press F6
and install from floppy.