HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Athlon XP "server" boards? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=5780)

John Oliver August 11th 04 08:00 PM

Athlon XP "server" boards?

I'm specing out a new web server, and want to be able to compare an
Athlon-based system with a P4 based system. It's relatively easy to
find "server" quality boards for the P4, but I can't find any info for
Athlon server boards (except the Tyan Thunder K7X Pro, but I don't need
dual processor and it's twice the price of the Intel S875WP1-E that's
being quoted for the Intel-based system).

* California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
* http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *

nikoli August 12th 04 05:16 AM

John Oliver wrote:
I'm specing out a new web server, and want to be able to compare an
Athlon-based system with a P4 based system. It's relatively easy to
find "server" quality boards for the P4, but I can't find any info for
Athlon server boards (except the Tyan Thunder K7X Pro, but I don't need
dual processor and it's twice the price of the Intel S875WP1-E that's
being quoted for the Intel-based system).

If you need server purposes, I'd highly highly highly recommend going
with a dual processor setup. You can always run a single cpu and upgrade
to 2 later when you need better performance. For server purposes, the
AMD 64 Opteron blows any Xeon away. It's actually not even close.

http://www.tcwo.com/detail.htm?ProductID=400784

if you must stick with single cpu

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

Noozer August 12th 04 01:19 PM

"nikoli" wrote in message
John Oliver wrote:
I'm specing out a new web server, and want to be able to compare an
Athlon-based system with a P4 based system. It's relatively easy to
find "server" quality boards for the P4, but I can't find any info for
Athlon server boards (except the Tyan Thunder K7X Pro, but I don't need
dual processor and it's twice the price of the Intel S875WP1-E that's
being quoted for the Intel-based system).

Dual opteron boards are OK. Building a system based on a Tyan Thunder S2885
mainboard now... Still waiting on parts so I can't tell just HOW good it
will be but AMD Opterons are definatlely an option.

nikoli August 13th 04 04:33 AM

John Oliver wrote:

I'm specing out a new web server, and want to be able to compare an
Athlon-based system with a P4 based system. It's relatively easy to
find "server" quality boards for the P4, but I can't find any info for
Athlon server boards (except the Tyan Thunder K7X Pro, but I don't need
dual processor and it's twice the price of the Intel S875WP1-E that's
being quoted for the Intel-based system).

Dual opteron boards are OK. Building a system based on a Tyan Thunder S2885
mainboard now... Still waiting on parts so I can't tell just HOW good it
will be but AMD Opterons are definatlely an option.

OK? I think they're a little better than just OK... but that's just me

;^)