HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Slightly off-topic questions about AMD64 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=83478)

Yousuf Khan July 25th 04 06:29 AM

Slightly off-topic questions about AMD64

Mary Richards wrote:
I know this is an Intel newsgroup but as there is no AMD group I have
to ask my questions here. I have 3 questions about an Athlon64.

You could have asked on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips. More or less the
same topics as on comp.sys.intel, but more generalized.

And there are various AMD newsgroups out there, such as the
alt.comp.hardware.amd.* heirarchy.

1. Does an Athlon64 motherboard require special video cards etc or
can it just take standard cards?

Completely standard AGP, or PCI, or PCI-E video cards

2. Is there an AMD64 version of Windows XP?

It uses the standard 32-bit Windows XP so far. The full 64-bit XP is only a
beta right now.

3. Do I need special software to run on that 64-bit Windows or will
standard 32 apps run just fine?

Yeah, standard 32-bit apps will run just fine on the 64-bit Windows. In
fact, those 32-bit apps are likely to run better, since they'll have access
to more memory for themselves, not having to share any of it with the OS
itself.

Yousuf Khan