HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Replacing Compaq Power Supply! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=120781)

[email protected] February 22nd 06 08:41 PM

Replacing Compaq Power Supply!

Hey guys I had purchased a new 500watt power supply and was wanting to
put it in my new case... but ran into a problem... connected the new
psu to my compaq motherboard and nothing happened... it would though
when I used the compaq psu. Well I have discovered that compaq uses a
different standard than what the 24pin on my new psu is using... I
don't know anything about re-wiring or what would be needed to do to do
that.... but I suppose that is an option... is there any kind of
adapter I could buy ? I know on several forums people have asked but
nobody has responded with a yes or no... I really need to get my psu
running x.x the compaq psu I have won't hold up with all the components
I have.... and I don't have the money to replace the motherboard just
yet....

Ben Myers February 22nd 06 09:50 PM

Replacing Compaq Power Supply!

Which model of Compaq computer is this? It is impossible to respond to you
without very specific information... Ben Myers

Mix February 23rd 06 01:59 AM

Replacing Compaq Power Supply!

Compaq Presario 5415WM

Power supply is an Aspire 500W ATX Power Supply model # ATX-AS500W

both psu's are 24 pin, but I saw that compaq's pins are different than
the standard ATX....

Ben Myers February 23rd 06 02:37 AM

Replacing Compaq Power Supply!

I'm surprised that Compaq used a 24-pin power supply in the Presario 5415WM.
But then I should never be surprised at any product the HPaq produces. The
Presario 5415WM is old enough that it pre-dates the newer BTX 24-pin standard.
I'll bet that the pinout of its power supply is identical to some of the earlier
Compaq DeskPro desktop models, which used a 24-pin power arrangement.

24-pin is the BTX standard. 20-pin is the ATX standard. ATX-12v adds the
supplementary 12v connector required by newer Socket 478 Pentium 4 and AMD
CPUs... Ben Myers