HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Cheap remote storage for VMware ESX (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=154971)

Ole Thomsen August 5th 07 08:07 AM

Cheap remote storage for VMware ESX

I'm looking for a small 2-disk mirrored remote storage with embedded OS for
my ESX test setup.

According to the VMware forums, NFS has to be v3 and TCP-based - not UDP.

I have found Adaptec Snap Server 210, with the advantage of optional iSCSI,
but it's not that cheap.

Qnap TS-209 Pro is a new product not yet arrived to my dealers, I have asked
their support for the NFS specs but no answer yet.

Are there other boxes that could be used? I'm aware of Freenas and similar
products, but do not wish to use a PC.

Ole Thomsen

Doctor Detroit August 12th 07 08:51 PM

Cheap remote storage for VMware ESX

I know you don't want to use a PC but it would be quite easy and cheap
to setup Openfiler on a PC with NFS or iSCSI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utzlYp1L1y4