HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can anyone ID this file? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=168212)

K2NNJ[_3_] May 1st 08 09:34 PM

Can anyone ID this file?

~ROFMN_00000790

I didn't know where to ask this, since a google search turned up nothing
substantive.

I have a Dell XPS400 with Windows MCE SP3. Any help would be appreciated.

K2NNJ[_3_] May 1st 08 10:38 PM

Can anyone ID this file?

It was in my temp directory, and it pops up a few seconds after I'm in the
folder. Also, the last three digits vary.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
~ROFMN_00000790

I didn't know where to ask this, since a google search turned up nothing
substantive.

I have a Dell XPS400 with Windows MCE SP3. Any help would be
appreciated.

From where, exactly, are you given the file name?

S.Lewis[_3_] May 1st 08 11:13 PM

Can anyone ID this file?

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
It was in my temp directory, and it pops up a few seconds after I'm in the
folder. Also, the last three digits vary.

Safe to say you've scanned the directory with everything you can throw at
it - correct?

Why not just delete your cookies/temp internet files and be done with it?
Just curious.

S.Lewis[_3_] May 1st 08 11:13 PM

Can anyone ID this file?

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
I have tried to delete this file but windows won't let me.

Try safe mode.

RnR[_2_] May 1st 08 11:13 PM

Can anyone ID this file?

On Thu, 1 May 2008 17:38:49 -0400, "K2NNJ"
wrote:

It was in my temp directory, and it pops up a few seconds after I'm in the
folder. Also, the last three digits vary.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
~ROFMN_00000790

I didn't know where to ask this, since a google search turned up nothing
substantive.

I have a Dell XPS400 with Windows MCE SP3. Any help would be
appreciated.

From where, exactly, are you given the file name?

I don't know but for safety, I'd run a virus check on that drive. It
shouldn't be important if it's in a temp folder but I've had and read
viri that goes into that folder so your caution is well advised. Did
you install some software or change some settings recently? I guess
if you could retrace your events just to about the time you discovered
this file that might help others to help you. Sorry I can't be more
helpful or exact. I just don't recall seeing this particular file in
my experiences.

Christopher Muto May 2nd 08 12:04 AM

Can anyone ID this file?

this is a total stab in the dark... you really didn't give us much to go
on...
but there is a windows 2003 server utility called brofmon which is a branch
office monitoring tool. perhaps they change the b with a ~ for the temp
files...
do you have some sort of vpn connection to your office?

K2NNJ[_3_] May 2nd 08 01:43 AM

Can anyone ID this file?

No, and I can't delete it. I've posted this on the MS Newgroup and I have
one of the MVP's working on with me.

Thanks.

m...

Christopher Muto May 2nd 08 02:24 AM

Can anyone ID this file?

working on what? a completely ramdom search based on next to no
information?
list what operating system you are running, summarize all processes that are
running, create a hijack this log...
if it is a temp file then of course you can't delete it while it is in use.