HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq M2000 dead laptop? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=153755)

***** charles July 9th 07 03:30 PM

Compaq M2000 dead laptop?

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop that
was sitting for a couple of weeks. I plugged in
the adapter and pushed the power button and
NOTHING, no lights, no beeps nothing. So
I removed the battery and put it back in and
tried again, nothing. Then I took the battery
out and tried to fire it up, nothing. Do laptops
just go dead for no reason? Does this one
need the battery to complete the curcuit and
fire up? I have the feeling that even if I try a
new battery I will get the same result. Any
ideas? bad switch, bad adapter anything
else? Is this a common occurance for this
brand/model?

thanks,
charles......

HH July 9th 07 04:49 PM

Compaq M2000 dead laptop?

Have you tried just letting it sit for a day with the AC adapter plugged in
to the wall/notebook to try and charge the battery?

HH

. net...

- Bobb - July 9th 07 05:29 PM

Compaq M2000 dead laptop?

I've had Dell's that had to be plugged in for 5 minutes before they would
power up - even with batteries removed. Last one had 2 old batteries -
they don't hold a charge for more than 30 minutes (, but not gonna spend
the money to fix a 4 yr old laptop). I remove the batteries - plug it
in - wait a while . Then it powers up.
Then I pop in the batteries if I need to use them later. Otherwise, just
it use on AC.

If that doesn't work, I then unplug the AC and then hold the power on
button AS you plug it in. I have found that will bypass the 'power
startup check ' ( or whatever it is that prevents it from starting ).
Good luck.

[email protected] August 21st 07 03:59 AM

Compaq M2000 dead laptop?

Anyone know of any class action suits in regards for this Mobo? This
problem is widespread and definately an internal hardware issue. I
have two clients' identical laptops, Presario M2000's. One is
completely dead and the other is very unstable(powers off
unexpectedly). These laptops are ~2 years old and from what I have
seen on other forums, these are not isolated incidents. I wasted an
hour on hold talking w/ support to no avail, good times. Anyway, I am
looking to get something started here, this is Compaq's liability and
they are not standing behind their products.

Anyone else get the spark from the power port when you plug in the
supply while it's hot?

BTW: MSI fully recognized and accepted responsibility for known
capacitor issues and have replaced EIGHT "out-of warranty"
motherboards for me in the last 10 months. Too bad Compaq/HP are so
lame.

[email protected] September 20th 07 05:42 PM

Compaq M2000 dead laptop?

On Aug 20, 7:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

I agree with you that HP is LAME when it comes to warranty and taking
a stand for the product.
Can you please help me out getting that capacitor replaced? Can you
tell me how you got MSI to
replace the capicitor? I called MSI and the said they didn't support
any warranty or replacement for
HP. Any info can help a lot. Thank you

[email protected] October 1st 07 07:05 AM

Compaq M2000 dead laptop?

On Aug 21, 10:59 am, wrote:
[...]

I have the same problem with my girlfriends m2000. Dead as a dodo
after 2 years of having it. I've asked around and this is a common
fault. :( What do we do?