HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Intel CAG for X58 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=175671)

TVeblen February 12th 09 01:59 PM

Intel CAG for X58

Does anyone here know if there is an updated CAG for x58 systems?
I'm want to know if a new case for X58 should be CAG 1.1 compliant or not.

TVeblen February 12th 09 10:34 PM

Intel CAG for X58

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Does anyone here know if there is an updated CAG for x58 systems?
I'm want to know if a new case for X58 should be CAG 1.1 compliant or
not.

How do you tell if a case is CAG 1.1 or not? I don't see many cases
that state that they are and yet there are many cases that appear to
have excellent cooling that don't. Is there a particular case that
your looking at?

CAG 1.1 Specs are he
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/...2086_62086.pdf
Looks like the design was for the Pentium 4

Here is a typical CAG 1.1 case:

I ran across this specification which was touted as a feature for one of the
cases I was looking at on Newegg (Can't remember which one). I always jot
down the new acronyms whenever they pop up and then do a search to find out
what they are in the hopeless effort to keep up to speed. Anyone looking at
the spec will recognize the design - It is quite common on many cases. But
many more cases do not have the CAG 1.1 design, and some of them are newer
models from major brands. Thus the question: is there an airflow design that
is recommended/needed for the X58 systems?

TVeblen February 13th 09 12:04 PM

Intel CAG for X58

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
Does anyone here know if there is an updated CAG for x58 systems?
I'm want to know if a new case for X58 should be CAG 1.1 compliant or
not.

How do you tell if a case is CAG 1.1 or not? I don't see many cases
that state that they are and yet there are many cases that appear to
have excellent cooling that don't. Is there a particular case that
your looking at?

CAG 1.1 Specs are he
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/...2086_62086.pdf
Looks like the design was for the Pentium 4

Here is a typical CAG 1.1 case:

Oh, ok. Lotsa cases like that.

I ran across this specification which was touted as a feature for one of
the
cases I was looking at on Newegg (Can't remember which one). I always jot
down the new acronyms whenever they pop up and then do a search to find
out
what they are in the hopeless effort to keep up to speed. Anyone looking
at
the spec will recognize the design - It is quite common on many cases.
But
many more cases do not have the CAG 1.1 design, and some of them are
newer
models from major brands. Thus the question: is there an airflow design
that
is recommended/needed for the X58 systems?

Not that I know of. OTOH, if I had the bucks for a spiffy new X58
with dual video cards, I'd seriously consider this one.

Bill

Ooooo. Alienware! Nice!!
But I'm more thinking of either buying a very cheap case to move an old P4
system into and use it's Antec Sonata I case for the new build (Which is not
a CAG 1.1 design) or buy a cheap(ish) new case for the new build. I just
want to know if there is an chassis airflow standard to be looking for, and
more importantly, one to stay away from - like the Sonata I.

TVeblen February 14th 09 03:34 AM

Intel CAG for X58

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Bill" wrote in message
> [...]

snip

Not that I know of. OTOH, if I had the bucks for a spiffy new X58
with dual video cards, I'd seriously consider this one.

Bill

Ooooo. Alienware! Nice!!
But I'm more thinking of either buying a very cheap case to move an old
P4
system into and use it's Antec Sonata I case for the new build (Which is
not
a CAG 1.1 design) or buy a cheap(ish) new case for the new build. I just
want to know if there is an chassis airflow standard to be looking for,
and
more importantly, one to stay away from - like the Sonata I.

Ahh, the Sonata I. Not a bad case if you understood it was designed
for quiet not performance and fixed the front USB port with a free
from Antec new one that would handle USB 2.0 devices. My wife had one
for a couple of years untill she wanted more performance. It got
replaced by a COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05

bought on sale for $49.99 USD with free shipping.

It probanly qualifies as CAG 1.1 compatible.

OTOH for a new build for the new INTEL processors I'd probably go
with a minimum of 120mm fan in front and a 120mm fan in the rear for
quiet and cooling.

For consideration:

if you don't mind the color

Though if I were building a gameing pc I would look for a case that
could handle extended atx motherboards so it could easily handle long
video cards.

Bill

Antec was good enough to send me a replacement front port board, so the old
Antec does 2.0.
Not going to do the Lan Party stuff - way past that **** by a decade or two.
I'm kinda liking the Cooler Master Sileo 500 right now - if I were to do a
new box. That's why I wondering about air flow.