HardwareBanter

-   Cdr (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   MS Backup Problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=24395)

Allen Weiner October 3rd 03 01:28 AM

MS Backup Problem

I regularly use MS Backup to backup my "My Documents" folder to CD. I
do weekly backups to CD-RW and monthly backups to CD-R. The size of my
"My Documents" folder is about 325 MB.

Recently, many of my backups to CD-R have failed in the verification
step. The backup step completes OK. In the verification step, I get
the following message from MS Backup:

"An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot be read
or contains an unknown media format. If the media contains valid data,
please verify the device connections or try changing the device
settings. The backup device stopped responding. (07-0D-2A-03-001E)"

If I then run the same backup job to CD-RW, it completes successfully.

All of the CD-Rs are Fuji(TY) from the same spindle of 50. The first
nine backups I made to CD-Rs from this spindle ran successfully. The
most recent four out of five backups to CD-Rs from this spindle have
failed.

The diagnostic program that came with my PC has basic and extended
tests for the CD-RW drive. No problems were found when I ran those
tests.

CD-RW drive: LG CED-8080B (8x/4x/32x)
Burning softwa Roxio Direct CD 3.01
OS: Windows ME
PC: Celeron 566 Mhz with 64 MB of RAM.

What might be causing this reduction of capability to backup to CD-R?