HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   nic card connection is on a timer? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=1442)

islander September 25th 03 03:30 AM

nic card connection is on a timer?

Anyone run across this one.

My old Pentium 90 is revived and running on my lan. well for a short
time. Everything runs fine on the lan for about 5 minutes after the
computer is turned on or restarted then it does not see the Network
any more. Even if I do nothing on the computers, after about 5 minutes
it looses connection.

cheers
the islander

kony September 26th 03 12:56 AM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:39:36 GMT, (islander)
wrote:

Anyone run across this one.

My old Pentium 90 is revived and running on my lan. well for a short
time. Everything runs fine on the lan for about 5 minutes after the
computer is turned on or restarted then it does not see the Network
any more. Even if I do nothing on the computers, after about 5 minutes
it looses connection.

cheers
the islander

Are you actively using it during this interval or perhaps it's going
into power management mode? Have you tried disabling power management
( in both BIOS and windows(?) ) ?

We might need more detail about the operation of the affected system,
what it is (and isn't) doing.

After this problem occurs, can you ping to or from it (assumine TCP/IP
is in use)?

Have you tried switching switch/hub ports?

Known-good NIC?

Does the NIC and/or switch/hub have link lights, are they still lit?
Is it possible the cabling isn't secure in the NIC or switch, etc?

What OS? Have you gone over the network settings, and if windows,
removed/reset those settings? Was this a clean OS install?

I assume you aren't overclocking it, especially the bus the NIC is on?

Dave

islander September 26th 03 04:07 AM

wrote:

Anyone run across this one.

My old Pentium 90 is revived and running on my lan. well for a short
time. Everything runs fine on the lan for about 5 minutes after the
computer is turned on or restarted then it does not see the Network
any more. Even if I do nothing on the computers, after about 5 minutes
it looses connection.

cheers
the islander

Are you actively using it during this interval or perhaps it's going
into power management mode? Have you tried disabling power management
( in both BIOS and windows(?) ) ?

Hmmm good idea I will try shuting off Power management in both areas.
However it does not seem to matter if I use this or the other
computers or not. If I let everything sit for about 5 minutes there is
no access to or from this computer.

even while I was usung it. it would just drop off the Lan.

guess what. In the bios. thats must be where it was. GOT IT....

damn forrest for the trees.

thanks ever so much.

cheers
Marv