HardwareBanter

-   General Hardware (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   HELP - DVD drive updated with incorrect Firmware (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=68471)

bas alberink October 18th 03 08:53 PM

HELP - DVD drive updated with incorrect Firmware

I have updated my Lite On (LTD-166S) DVD drive with incorrect Firmware
of my CDRW drive by accident. Now the bios and Windows 2000 does no
longer detect the DVD drive. I tried to force the bios to find it but
this did not work. I have the latest Windows Firmware for the DVD
drive but can't flash it because it can't find the DVD drive. Is there
anything I can do or is the drive ready to be binned ??

Ron Cook October 24th 03 10:07 PM

On 18 Oct 2003 12:53:13 -0700, (bas alberink) wrote in
posted to
comp.hardwa

I have updated my Lite On (LTD-166S) DVD drive with incorrect Firmware
of my CDRW drive by accident. Now the bios and Windows 2000 does no
longer detect the DVD drive. I tried to force the bios to find it but
this did not work. I have the latest Windows Firmware for the DVD
drive but can't flash it because it can't find the DVD drive. Is there
anything I can do or is the drive ready to be binned ??

I expect your drive is effectively dead.

Your flashing software would be 'looking' for a DVD ROM. Not finding
one, it would refuse to do any writing to the chip.

The new code in the ROM is not (apparently) compatible with the
hardware of the DVD drive. As a result it can't 'announce' the
presence of the DVD drive to your computer's BIOS or Windows.

I would purchase a new drive.

Ron n1zhi

jamotto October 29th 03 04:22 AM

bas alberink wrote:

I have updated my Lite On (LTD-166S) DVD drive with incorrect Firmware
of my CDRW drive by accident. Now the bios and Windows 2000 does no
longer detect the DVD drive. I tried to force the bios to find it but
this did not work. I have the latest Windows Firmware for the DVD
drive but can't flash it because it can't find the DVD drive. Is there
anything I can do or is the drive ready to be binned ??

You might be able to send the unit back to Lite On and have it
reflashed by them but I doubt it will be cheap.