HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   amd or intel? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8763)

Codemutant June 25th 04 10:52 AM

amd or intel?

I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do
some serious programming. May be a little bit of games, movies.. and
multimedia
can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do list. I was thinking of
buying
an AMD64 3ghz based computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for
an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is
very common. They said that for saving money i must not compramise on
reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Ben Pope June 25th 04 01:00 PM

Codemutant wrote:
I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do some serious programming. May be a little bit of games,
movies.. and multimedia can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do
list. I was thinking of buying an AMD64 3ghz based computer
But my friends are advicing me to go for an Intel pentium 2.8 HT
system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and overheating of the
cpu is very common. They said that for saving money i must not
compramise on reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Your friends are ill-advised.

The power consumption of an AMD64 is WAY below that of an Intel, and thus it
is cooler.

Overheating IS NOT a common problem when the heatsink is installed the
correct way round.

Compilation on an AMD is quicker than on Intel.

AMD64 will stomp all over the 2.8 in the tasks you have described. Just
check some benchmarks.

Reliability was a problem attributed to the chipsets years ago. AMD
chipsets have been fast and reliable for years.

In saving money you will not be compromising on reliability or performance.

Buy the AMD, you will not be disappointed.

Ben

rstlne June 25th 04 01:20 PM

"Codemutant" wrote in message
om...
I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do
some serious programming. May be a little bit of games, movies.. and
multimedia
can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do list. I was thinking of
buying
an AMD64 3ghz based computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for
an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is
very common. They said that for saving money i must not compramise on
reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Yes..
Many people feel this way.
I say that they must have never (at least not within the past 7 or so years)
used an AMD processor based system.
Most of the problems that there are turn out to be chipset problems. (It's
a good chance that the amd 915 and 925 chipset boards are going to be
recalled too) (those are intel btw)

Thermally speaking
Tell your friends that the P4's use more Power (they'll probably just say
that's cause the chips are faster) but Power translates into heat..

I am holding off on buying a new system right now JUST BECAUSE I want to
move to pci express & ddr2 & btx (if that happens) all at once rather than
buying tech today that might not work tomorrow.

At the end of the day you'll need to do some reviews and find out what's
going to be best for you.. the p4 ht 2.8 is good and should meet your
requirements. you can get ddr2 (as long as it's faster than pc3200 then
you'll be better off) and pci express with the current intel boards so that
might be more important to you than the x86-64 processor.

James June 25th 04 03:18 PM

you can't go wrong either way. I've built about 7 athlon XP machines. None
of them have overheated, or had ANY problems for that matter. If I had a
choice between a p4 2.8 or a Athlon 64, I would go for the Athlon...its
cheaper, its cooler, and got cool and quiet, so the system will run quieter,
and it supports 64bit, not just 32 like Intel. Chances are though, the
average user really won't notice much of a difference between the 2 if your
working in a 32 bit envirnment anyways. There are 64 bit versions of linux
that you could run on the AMD, but not the Intel.
Enjoy your new system, whatever it ends up being.

Hellmark June 25th 04 04:55 PM

Codemutant's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we

I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer. The system is most propably going to be used to run linux
and do some serious programming. May be a little bit of games, movies and
multimedia can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do list. I was
thinking of buying an AMD64 3ghz based computer. But my friends are
advicing me to go for an Intel pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that
AMD is unreliable and overheating of the cpu is very common. They said
that for saving money i must not compramise on reliablity and
performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Tell your friends they are full of ****. I have been running AMD chips for
years, and have had zero problems. While it is true that AMD's run hotter,
its very easy to keep them cool. It means just add a case fan or two, and
you're good to go (most Intel systems rely on only a CPU fan and the fan
in the powersupply, which I dont like running on any system, no matter who
makes it). As far as over heating, would they care to explain my AMD64
2800+ sitting right here at a cool 102 Fahrenheit (and the hottest it's
ever been was 116 degrees under a full continuous workload), while I had a
P2 450 overheat, and destroy the motherboard, video card, DVD drive,
CD-RW, and sound card? I've yet to have a AMD chip overheat. They are
just Intel Fanboys giving you some FUD.

Don McCarter June 25th 04 10:25 PM

I have always used Intel CPU's until now.
I built an AMD64 3200 machine and for
a computer hobbyist like me it is great.
It is much quieter that my son's Intel P4 3.0.
I am running Fedore Core 2 64bit, WindowsXP64(free to download and use for
one year) and WindowsXp pro.
All of the above OS's work fine. In some cases the 64Bit is
faster.

"Ed" wrote in message
On 25 Jun 2004 02:52:20 -0700, (Codemutant)
wrote:

I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do
some serious programming. May be a little bit of games, movies.. and
multimedia
can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do list. I was thinking of
buying
an AMD64 3ghz based computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for
an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is
very common. They said that for saving money i must not compramise on
reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Any of those friends ever use an AMD 64 system (built correctly)? cause
it sounds to me like they don't have a clue!

I don't own a AMD64 but I have built 3 of them and get to use them
on/off, 2 words - "Kick Ass"

Ed

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

KMS June 26th 04 01:53 AM

I like to advise go with AMD 64 system.

I have built three of those: One to my friend, one to my relative and now
one to myself. We all are very happy with them.

Just a week ago I built my new A64 3500+ based system. I'm glad I did...
even thought it was not cheap! I could have built a very decent Intel
Pentium based system cheaper... but I wanted AMD64 system with Socket939
based motherboard.

With this system I have enabled the Cool'n' Quiet, the temperatures (System
and CPU) are VERY low in normal usage. When fully loaded for long time the
CPU temperatures get to "normal" range around 55C, but that's about 1-5% of
the time my computer is on. I'd like to draw an analogy to a car: How often
do you drive your car with gas pedal floored? Yes... not very often and
absolutely not all the time. It just seems like with the old technology
(Read: Intel) the "car" speed is adjusted by applying brakes, the gas is
always floored! But with AMD we have the gas pedal we can press more or less
depending on how fast the "car" needs to move. Smart? Yes, I think so too...
I'm sure Intel will follow AMD with this (once again... ; ), and they will
implement a dynamic power saving system with their Pentium "X" lines. Maybe
once their desktop CPU's are based on Pentium M core soon (Yes, P4 will be
dead not too much in the future...) they will have their version of
Cool'n'Quiet for desktop processors.

Instability? What is that? I have not noticed such a thing for a long time
in any properly configured system. Be it Intel or AMD.

Codemutant June 26th 04 04:25 AM

wrote:

[...]

The arguement i lose when debating with intelfans.. is "why then amd
is cheaper than intel?? if the performance is high isnt it cheaper
bcause it uses cheaper components???" ... any suggessions...?
thanx for the replies i got... i finally made up my mind to buy an
amd64 3.0ghz system. I am planning to use asus motherboard with the in
build geforce. Do tell me tips to keep my amd cooler and in perfect
working condition.

Jason Cothran June 26th 04 04:36 AM

"Codemutant" wrote in message
om...

| The arguement i lose when debating with intelfans.. is "why then amd
| is cheaper than intel?? if the performance is high isnt it cheaper
| bcause it uses cheaper components???" ... any suggessions...?
| thanx for the replies i got... i finally made up my mind to buy an
| amd64 3.0ghz system. I am planning to use asus motherboard with the in
| build geforce. Do tell me tips to keep my amd cooler and in perfect
| working condition.

Howmany AMD commercials do you see, or AMD ads in general? How many Intel
ads do you see? Overhead, and market share. Intel has the uninformed into
thinking their computer must say "Intel inside" to run. Your typical average
buyer has never ever heard of "AMD" or "Athlon". AMB has been and continues
to gain market share as more and more people become educated to the fact
that for most applications, AMD is superior to Intel. As for buying a 3GHz
system, you will have to wait a while ;) . AMD makes systems that smoke
intel 3GHz+ systems, but they do not make one @3GHz themselves yet. No need
when they can smoke an Intel 3.4EE with a 2GHz CPU.

Post Replies Here Please June 26th 04 06:04 AM

"Hellmark" == Hellmark writes:

Hellmark Codemutant's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
Hellmark through his body we

I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer. The system is most propably going to be used to run
linux and do some serious programming. May be a little bit of
games, movies and multimedia can also be thoght of in the
Things-to-do list. I was thinking of buying an AMD64 3ghz based
computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is very common. They said that for saving
money i must not compramise on reliablity and performance in the
long run. What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Hellmark Tell your friends they are full of ****. I have been
Hellmark running AMD chips for years, and have had zero problems.
Hellmark While it is true that AMD's run hotter, its very easy to
Hellmark keep them cool. It means just add a case fan or two, and
Hellmark you're good to go (most Intel systems rely on only a CPU
Hellmark fan and the fan in the powersupply, which I dont like
Hellmark running on any system, no matter who makes it). As far as
Hellmark over heating, would they care to explain my AMD64 2800+
Hellmark sitting right here at a cool 102 Fahrenheit (and the
Hellmark hottest it's ever been was 116 degrees under a full
Hellmark continuous workload), while I had a P2 450 overheat, and
Hellmark destroy the motherboard, video card, DVD drive, CD-RW, and
Hellmark sound card? I've yet to have a AMD chip overheat. They are
Hellmark just Intel Fanboys giving you some FUD.

I would concur with that. All these chips can get very hot and require
properly setup cooling. AMD64 has the edge with gaming benchmarks. P4
still have an edge with video encoding. Either system will be more
than great. Some benchmarks show faster compiling with AMD64.

The question is should you wait or not? That is probably the hardest
question to answer. Both AMD and Intel are coming out with new
chipsets and sockets.

Go to some hardware sites and look around.

Good luck!