HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq nc6000 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=169517)

[email protected] June 13th 08 09:21 AM

Compaq nc6000

Hello,
i have a compaq NC6000 and it does not workk any more.
I would like to repair it.
It seems to be the hard drive (i can launch Windows XP and after 2 or
3 minutes, it freeze.
:-)

Herre are my questions :
how can I be sure that the prob comes from the hard drive?
if this is the hard drive, how do I know the hard drive model I have
to purchase.

thanksin advance for any help.
regards,
Cédric

John Williamson June 13th 08 08:57 PM

Compaq nc6000

wrote:
Hello,
i have a compaq NC6000 and it does not workk any more.
I would like to repair it.
It seems to be the hard drive (i can launch Windows XP and after 2 or
3 minutes, it freeze.
:-)

Herre are my questions :
how can I be sure that the prob comes from the hard drive?
if this is the hard drive, how do I know the hard drive model I have
to purchase.

thanksin advance for any help.
regards,
Cédric

The problem could be anything from an overheating CPU due to a blocked/
not working fan, to a loose/ defective memory module, via quite a few
other things.

Where & when did you buy it?
HP offer a 3 year warranty in the UK, according to the ciao.co.uk.

Otherwise, work through what's he-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=uk

A service guide is he-

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/d.../c00063094.pdf

The drive seems to be a standard 9.5mm thick, PATA 2.5 inch drive,
possibly in a carrier. HP list drives of 30, 40, 60 & 80 Gb for that
machine for sale on their website.

If you're not familiar with working on small, complex electronics, then
you may feel happier taking it to a technician.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

- Bobb - June 16th 08 02:29 PM

Compaq nc6000

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Hello,
i have a compaq NC6000 and it does not workk any more.
I would like to repair it.
It seems to be the hard drive (i can launch Windows XP and after 2 or
3 minutes, it freeze.
:-)
Here are my questions :
how can I be sure that the prob comes from the hard drive?
if this is the hard drive, how do I know the hard drive model I have
to purchase.

thanks in advance for any help.
regards,
Cédric

If it boot then hangs ( at the Windows screen ?) it is probably NOT the
hard drive itself.
It might be the SOFTWARE ON the hard drive or some external device. When
Windows starts it is pretty basic, as Windows goes along it looks for more
fancy devices and the software to make it work. Boot it in SAFE MODE. When
the PC FIRST starts ( at the Compaq logo screen), tap F8 a few times and
you should then see a screen that offers choices 1-8. Choose #1 - Safe
Mode. If that works then the basic Windows install is OK. Open My
Computer - Look OK ? Have you ( the kids) added anything (software or
hardware) recently ?
Start- Programs - Control Panel - System - Hardware- Device Mgr:
Do you see any X's in front of devices ?
If recent software installed then remove it:
Start- Programs - Control Panel - Add/remove prgs etc.
Do you have the QuickRestore CD ? Do you care about the data on there or
just want to "make it work". Give us more details / results for more help.