HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need a Kick-Ass Case! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=13422)

Wayne Youngman January 22nd 04 01:46 PM

Need a Kick-Ass Case!

Hi,

I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value* option.
I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.

So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but I
am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift the
bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I
would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the HSF
but still a pain.

If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to slide
the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point in
having a *removable* mobo tray?

So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:

1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
as possible
3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

= = = = = = = = = = =
So far I am very tempted to get this case:
CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
= = = = = = = = = = =
Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far is:
ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
= = = = = = = = = = =
TOTAL: £170.53
= = = = = = = = = = =
Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
me your experience
--
Wayne ][

al January 22nd 04 04:00 PM

D wrote:

[...]

I have a Lian Li case and you just slide the motherboard out.Great case
regards Al

IanDunbar January 22nd 04 04:49 PM

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
[snip]

If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able

to slide
the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass*

but I'm
not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see

little point in
having a *removable* mobo tray?

I have a Lian Li 6070, I can remove mobo with hsf and pci cards
still attached.

So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new

case:

1) Aluminium - To help system cooling

The extra cooling from aluminium is next to nothing, but aluminium
cases look cool.

2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as

painless
as possible
3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo

easy
4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

Check http://www.overclockers.co.uk they stock Lian LI as well as
lots of others, delivery is always excellent and they're a friendly
bunch.

= = = = = = = = = = =
So far I am very tempted to get this case:
CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
= = = = = = = = = = =
Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice

so far is:
ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in

my spec.
= = = = = = = = = = =
TOTAL: £170.53
= = = = = = = = = = =
Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you

could lend
me your experience

Good choice of psu.

HTH

--

Ian

A7N8X Deluxe v1.04
Uber Bios 1006 + Sata Bios
XP2500 @ 2400MHz
Corsair Twinx1024-3200LLPT
200 x 12.0
ATI Radeon 9700Pro
2 x Maxtor 120GB 8MB SATA RAID 0

Peter van der Goes January 22nd 04 05:12 PM

[...]

A reasonably priced alternative would be the Chieftec/Antec SOHO full tower.
4 ea. 80mm fan mounts (Antec variant comes w/3 quiet fans), removable 3.5"
drive bays (lever lock), snap-in rails for 5.25 bays, and *lots of room* for
easy motherboard installs.

Here's a link to one at Newegg for $77 shipped to your door:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

If you scrounge around, you may find even cheaper versions without the side
window.

S.Heenan January 22nd 04 05:12 PM

Wayne Youngman wrote:
[...]

Lian Li makes all manner of cases which suit your needs. If you're planning
on 6+ hard drives in addition to optical drives, consider the Antec True 550
or True Control 550.
http://www.lian-li.com/proclass.php

The Cooler Master line looks like an excellent alternative to Lian Li.

Kokoro January 22nd 04 05:34 PM

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Wayne Youngman ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

[...]

Just as many others have stated, Lian-Li is the way to go. I, not long ago
bought myself a PC-6077 (£118 from overclock.co.uk), after seeing now well
it is built, and the ease of getting in the components, I doubt I will ever
buy a case from anyone else again.

goto Lian-Li's website, look for a case that suits you, they are the best.

Howdy January 22nd 04 08:38 PM

KingWin KT-424 Black and you can get it for about $10 USD cheaper without
the side window.

I got mine at www.zipzoomfly.com

Very, very happy with it.

a.. High quality aluminum-mg alloy case with 2.00mm aluminum thickness.
a.. Special anti-shock absorber system for HDD.
a.. Front hidden fan controller.
a.. 1 clear side acrylic glass window.
a.. 2 front USB 2.0 ports.
a.. 1 front firewire port.
a.. 3 x case fans (2 w/ Fan Filters).
a.. Slide out motherboard tray.
a.. Folded edges to protect from cuts and scrapes.
a.. Complete tool-less design
Dashi

Bazis January 22nd 04 09:31 PM

Lian Li!