HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   RAID on Master/Master or Master/Slave? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=30934)

no_one January 30th 04 04:28 AM

RAID on Master/Master or Master/Slave?

I have set up a RAID 0 (striped for performance) with a pair of 80 GB WD IDE
drives and made them both Masters; one on the promary channel and one on the
secondary channel. Is this the best way to set them up or should I move one
to the Slave position of the Pimay channel?

Ron

Tatu January 30th 04 04:25 PM

Master/Master.

______________________________

I agree - definately master/master. I have that setup in my pc,
although a mirroring raid so that important data is more safe.

Greetings!

Tatu

DaveW January 31st 04 12:17 AM

Are you saying that your motherboard DOES have a RAID chip on it? Normally
you don't use the Primary and Secondary IDE ports for RAID on most RAID
enabled motherboards.

--
DaveW

ink.net...

no_one January 31st 04 05:35 AM

Yes, the P4P800 has the ability to run either an IDE or a SATA RAID in
addtion to the normal IDE primary and redundant drives; I believe that it
can support up to 6 drives under XP with all the IDE and RAID combo's
available. It is pretty cool.

"DaveW" wrote in message
Are you saying that your motherboard DOES have a RAID chip on it?

Normally
you don't use the Primary and Secondary IDE ports for RAID on most RAID
enabled motherboards.

--
DaveW

ink.net...