HardwareBanter

-   Webcams (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Some help asked installing a wecam (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57092)

P.Melchior May 2nd 04 05:18 PM

Some help asked installing a wecam

Hello,

I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
directions.

But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.

When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
He 's connecting to my external IP.

I put up a test

http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
blank.

I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
webcam I use is an ADI C350.

If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.

I feel kind of in the dark.

TIA for any suggestions.

Peter

P.Melchior May 2nd 04 05:23 PM

Op Sun, 02 May 2004 18:18:46 +0200 schreef P.Melchior
:

And this

http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

should be:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

Sorry for the 404's

Peter

bumtracks May 2nd 04 05:46 PM

except for too much compression or pic window stretched too big,,, combo of
both,,, motion is good but the stream on du meter here is low spikey
blotchy,,, not what I am used to seeing nor would call a steady stream.

trace route from here goes NY to London and right there it slows down from
28ms to 160 or so ms but event that should be ok

4 28 ms 27 ms 28 ms ge-6-2-0.mp2.Tampa1.Level3.net
[64.159.1.149]
5 41 ms 55 ms 55 ms ge-0-1-0.bbr1.Dallas1.Level3.net
[64.159.1.109]

6 55 ms 41 ms 55 ms so-6-0-0.edge1.Dallas1.Level3.net
[209.244.15.16
2]
7 55 ms 55 ms 41 ms sprint-level3-oc48.Dallas1.Level3.net
[64.158.16
8.74]
8 42 ms 54 ms 55 ms sl-bb27-fw-5-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.9.137]
9 41 ms 41 ms 55 ms sl-bb24-fw-14-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.11.73]
10 55 ms 41 ms 55 ms sl-bb21-fw-11-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.11.21]
11 55 ms 69 ms 68 ms sl-bb21-chi-6-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.8.53]
12 82 ms 82 ms 69 ms sl-bb22-nyc-15-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.9.148]

13 83 ms 82 ms 69 ms sl-bb20-nyc-14-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.7.105]

14 151 ms 151 ms 137 ms sl-bb22-lon-12-0.sprintlink.net
[144.232.9.162]

15 151 ms 151 ms 164 ms sl-bb20-bru-14-0.sprintlink.net
[213.206.129.42]

16 151 ms 151 ms 151 ms sl-bb21-bru-15-0.sprintlink.net
[80.66.128.42]
17 151 ms 151 ms 151 ms sl-bb20-ams-14-0.sprintlink.net
[213.206.129.45]

18 151 ms 151 ms 151 ms sl-gw10-ams-14-0.sprintlink.net
[217.149.32.38]

19 151 ms 165 ms 151 ms sle-xs4al-1-0.sprintlink.net [217.149.33.70]
20 165 ms 151 ms 151 ms 0.so-2-3-0.xr2.d12.xs4all.net [194.109.5.89]
21 151 ms 165 ms 151 ms 42.ge9-0-0.pe20.fia.xs4all.net
[194.109.5.134]
22 164 ms 151 ms 151 ms 195.190.249.106
23 * * * Request timed out.

Bob Day May 2nd 04 05:58 PM

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
[...]

What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
a cable modem?

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

P.Melchior May 2nd 04 06:05 PM

Op Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58:20 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
:

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
.. .

Hello,
[...]

What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
the computer you're doing the encoding on?

upload 320 kbps

Possibly, you're
encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there.

I'm compressing to WM8, 56k, 160x120 at this moment, but if the
connection holds the load I'll try to step up.

Are you on DSL or
a cable modem?

ADSL

Thanks for looking,

Peter

Noël May 2nd 04 06:15 PM

"Bob Day" wrote in message
| "P.Melchior" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
| Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
| directions.
|
| But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.
|
| When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
| Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
| connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
| is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
| few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
| He 's connecting to my external IP.
|
| I put up a test
|
| http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm
|
| But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
| blank.
|
| I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
| I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
| speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
| webcam I use is an ADI C350.
|
| If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
| local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
| the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.
|
| What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
| the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
| encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
| such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
| a cable modem?
|
| -- Bob Day
| ------------------------------------------------------
| Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
| http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
up!

What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine for
me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.
I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really think
that you can go much lower than this!

Let me know if you get stuck!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Bob Day May 2nd 04 06:21 PM

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
Op Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58:20 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
:

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
.. .

Hello,
[...]

What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
the computer you're doing the encoding on?

upload 320 kbps

Possibly, you're
encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there.

I'm compressing to WM8, 56k, 160x120 at this moment, but if the
connection holds the load I'll try to step up.

Are you on DSL or
a cable modem?

ADSL

ADSL is good. I've found it to be less "bursty" than cable modem
broadband, which, in my experience, can cause the Encoder to choke.
-- I'm receiving your broadcast just fine at 29Kbps.

-- Bob Day

P.Melchior May 2nd 04 06:50 PM

Hi,

Op Sun, 02 May 2004 17:21:27 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
:

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
.. .
Op Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58:20 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
:

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
.. .

Hello,
[...]

What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
the computer you're doing the encoding on?

upload 320 kbps

Possibly, you're
encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there.

I'm compressing to WM8, 56k, 160x120 at this moment, but if the
connection holds the load I'll try to step up.

Are you on DSL or
a cable modem?

ADSL

ADSL is good. I've found it to be less "bursty" than cable modem
broadband, which, in my experience, can cause the Encoder to choke.

Well I don't have experience with cable, living on a rather remote
spot. The phone exchange is upgraded to ADSL sincs april first.

-- I'm receiving your broadcast just fine at 29Kbps.

Thanks, that's good to hear. It reassures me that I didn't do anything
basically wrong. Now it's a matter of speeding up, and find out when
the connection chokes.

Thanks,

Peter

P.Melchior May 2nd 04 06:58 PM

Hi,

Op Sun, 2 May 2004 19:15:09 +0200 schreef "Noël"
:

"Bob Day" wrote in message

| What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
| the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
| encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
| such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
| a cable modem?
|
| -- Bob Day
| ------------------------------------------------------
| Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
| http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
up!

What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine for
me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.

Yes, WM8 56kbps. Try to speed up things later tonight, as I find the
quality a little disappointing. (In general, not related to the
compression)

I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really think
that you can go much lower than this!

I check with him later tonight. He is on ADSL too, so the bandwith
probably can be set at a higher level

Let me know if you get stuck!

O yes, you bet!

Regards,
Peter

Noël May 2nd 04 07:12 PM

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Op Sun, 2 May 2004 19:15:09 +0200 schreef "Noël"
| :
|
| "Bob Day" wrote in message
|
| | What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
| | the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
| | encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
| | such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
| | a cable modem?
| |
| | -- Bob Day
| | ------------------------------------------------------
| | Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
| | http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.
| |

| Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
| up!
|
| What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine
for
| me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.
|
| Yes, WM8 56kbps. Try to speed up things later tonight, as I find the
| quality a little disappointing. (In general, not related to the
| compression)
|
| I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really
think
| that you can go much lower than this!
|
| I check with him later tonight. He is on ADSL too, so the bandwith
| probably can be set at a higher level
|

| Let me know if you get stuck!
|
| O yes, you bet!
|
| Regards,
| Peter

Peter,

At 29.1 Kbps you can't really steam good quality video! (At this speed you
can "just" do a nice stereo sound stream!)

This is what you can do if you have the bandwidth to play with:
http://www.terena.nl/~dick/cam2.asx

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info