HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   does it matter how you format flash usb drives? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21584)

Conor October 15th 04 11:31 PM

In article , !Allen Lasting says...
I bought a 128 mb sandisk cruzer flash drive today, and
noticed it's formatted FAT 16.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't reformat it fat32 or
ntfs?

Stick with FAT16/32 as using NTFS can cause issues regarding access
permissions.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Frank October 16th 04 02:00 AM

"!Allen Lasting" wrote in message
I bought a 128 mb sandisk cruzer flash drive today, and
noticed it's formatted FAT 16.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't reformat it fat32 or
ntfs?
Thanks
Al

Flash drives usually have a manufacturer's utility to diagnose and
format the units.

Ed_ October 16th 04 04:47 AM

In article , Frank says...

"!Allen Lasting" wrote in message
I bought a 128 mb sandisk cruzer flash drive today, and
noticed it's formatted FAT 16.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't reformat it fat32 or
ntfs?
Thanks
Al

Flash drives usually have a manufacturer's utility to diagnose and
format the units.

I didn't pay much attention to this when I bought my cruzer but when I bought my
MuVo TX, Creative specified to use FAT and not Fat 16,32 or NTFS. When I
checked my cruzer it had been factory formatted FAT also.

Ed

Matt October 17th 04 04:52 AM

!Allen Lasting wrote:
I bought a 128 mb sandisk cruzer flash drive today, and
noticed it's formatted FAT 16.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't reformat it fat32 or
ntfs?

Linux has an fdisk that can partition usb, secure digital, compact flash
etc. drives. It has formatting programs that can create FAT and ext3
(Linux) filesystems.

So I expect Windows's fdisk and format programs will also work with
these devices. I would say to go for it.