HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Resizing existing partitions on an external USB2 HDD in Mac OS? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197240)

Ant December 11th 16 11:38 PM

Resizing existing partitions on an external USB2 HDD in Mac OS?

Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32 [datas and sharing with other
OSes like Windows] & encrypted HFS+ [Time Machine + other datas]). I
wanted to make its FAT32 partition smaller & HFS+ partition bigger
without losing data, redoing from scratch, etc. It doesn't seem to let
me. Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?
:(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "The fact that we can't easily foresee clues that
would betray an intelligence a million millennia farther down the road

Lewis[_3_] December 12th 16 06:50 AM

Resizing existing partitions on an external USB2 HDD in Mac OS?

In message
Ant wrote:
Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32

That's why.

Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Not with FAT partitions.

--
Let the Wookiee win.

Ant December 12th 16 10:49 PM

Resizing existing partitions on an external USB2 HDD in Mac OS?

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Lewis wrote:
In message
Ant wrote:
Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32

That's why.

Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Not with FAT partitions.

Oh. So they need to be HFS+ to repartition. Darn it. I was hoping it
would be like old PartitionMagic, qtparted, etc. :(

Jolly Roger[_3_] December 13th 16 12:07 AM

Ant wrote:
Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32

That's why.

Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Not with FAT partitions.

Oh. So they need to be HFS+ to repartition. Darn it. I was hoping it
would be like old PartitionMagic, qtparted, etc. :(

Yes, it's oh so limited and sub-par! I mean everyone knows PartitionMagic,
qtparted, etc would resize HFS volumes! /sarcasm

Your expectations are unrealistic.

JR