HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS Problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=33303)

Doris Heid July 2nd 04 06:32 PM

A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS Problem

Hi @ all,

a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants a
disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime awdflash
says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows the
correct name??

Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)

Greetz Doris

Hamid Saeed July 2nd 04 08:54 PM

"Doris Heid" wrote in message
Hi @ all,

a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants

disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime

awdflash
says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows

the
correct name??

Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)

Greetz Doris

Hi Doris,

Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed my
bios and it worked ok.

Regards,
Hamid

Doris Heid July 2nd 04 09:34 PM

Hi Hamid,

"Hamid Saeed" wrote

Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed my
bios and it worked ok.

doesn't work, same answer: source file not found.

Greetz Doris

Ken Maltby July 2nd 04 10:33 PM

"Doris Heid" wrote in message
Hi Hamid,

"Hamid Saeed" wrote

Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed

my
bios and it worked ok.

doesn't work, same answer: source file not found.

Greetz Doris

You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?

You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?

You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
save question.

And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

Luck;
Ken

Doris Heid July 2nd 04 10:58 PM

Hi Ken,

"Ken Maltby" wrote

You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?

You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?

You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
save question.

And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

no...no..no.. ;-)

okay, maybe my first discription was not complete...there is no boot..first
thing i see is:

AWARD BootBlock BIOS V1.0
Copyright blabla...

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media ...
INSERT SYSTEM DISk AND PRESS ENTER

on this disk is the latest awdflash.exe and the 1011.bin. i insert it and
press enter. The next is the following line:

Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE

after loading, the cursor is at the bottom left and in the AWDFLASh Window
at the bottom line you can read "Source File Not Found"

i get no chance, to type in any filename, can leave this screen only with
reset. strg, alt + del wouldn't work.

Greetz Doris

Doris Heid July 3rd 04 12:41 AM

Hi,

i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(

First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:

The program file's BIOS-Lock String
does not match with your system

i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
is always the same. Any idea?

Greetz Doris

Rob July 3rd 04 02:51 AM

Doris Heid wrote:
Hi,

i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(

First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:

The program file's BIOS-Lock String
does not match with your system

i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
is always the same. Any idea?

Greetz Doris

Doris,
Are you able to use ALT + F2 when the system first begins to POST? If
so, then it should take you to the built-in AWDFLASH Utility. After you
have unzipped the BIOS file you downloaded, you may need to change/add
the .bin on the end. After the built-in program starts, it will ask the
name of the file, on the floppy, to program. I think it wants to see
just "1011.bin" typed there. That should start the process. HTH.

Rob

Gordon Scott July 4th 04 03:13 AM

Doris Heid wrote:

Hi,

i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(

First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:

The program file's BIOS-Lock String
does not match with your system

i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
is always the same. Any idea?

Greetz Doris

doris, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you got the right bios for the right board in
the first place.
You are probably getting bios for A7N8X-deluxe and not A7N8X E-deluxe

you do not want to screw this up

gordon

Ken Maltby July 5th 04 06:53 AM

"Doris Heid" wrote in message
Hi Ken,

"Ken Maltby" wrote

You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?

You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?

You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
save question.

And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

no...no..no.. ;-)

okay, maybe my first discription was not complete...there is no

boot..first
thing i see is:

AWARD BootBlock BIOS V1.0
Copyright blabla...

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media ...
INSERT SYSTEM DISk AND PRESS ENTER

on this disk is the latest awdflash.exe and the 1011.bin. i insert it and
press enter. The next is the following line:

What is this:?
Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE

Are you saying that you see "Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE"
displayed on your screen?

after loading, the cursor is at the bottom left and in the AWDFLASh Window
at the bottom line you can read "Source File Not Found"

i get no chance, to type in any filename, can leave this screen only with
reset. strg, alt + del wouldn't work.

Greetz Doris

This sounds like you somehow have a floppy startup disk
that has an autoexec.bat with a line like:
"awdflash A:\XXXXX.XXX /x/x/x"

Where the file named is not your 1011.bin or is not exactly
entered right.

What is on that floppy? And if it has an autoexec.bat, what's
in it?

Luck;
Ken

Peter July 8th 04 05:33 AM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as Doris, has anyone else figured it
out?

I also tried the below:

My motherboard (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) bios is screwed, it seems to be
corrupted. I tried to update the bios from Windows XP using Asus
Update Utility to the latest v1008 and rebooted. Then from here on...
it keeps booting up to the Award BootBlock v1.0 ... I have tried to
flash with Asus's awdflash.exe and the correct bin files (tried all of
them), it keeps telling me that its not the right image file crap.
I've been down more than a week now.. Asus was not able to help ... I
was research all over the internet and came across a few postings from
different forums .. and the closest situation to my problem were the
people who mentioned this guy Dos-Freaks' method or utility - it
worked for a few people, but its not working for me so far.

Here is what I did...

- I made a bootdisk from Windows XP
- I downloaded your awdblock file which contains awdflash.txt,
awdflash.exe , awdflash.asm, and then copied into the bootdisk I
created.
- I created autoexec.bat containing below and copied to bootdisk.

@ECHO OFF

FLASH AN8D1008.BIN /py /sn /cd /cc /cp /R /nbl

- I renamed the original awdflash.exe to flash.exe and copied to
bootdisk.
* then I inserted bootdisk and start up the computer, it started up
and says the following:

Automatic Load AWDFLASH.EXE ...... * Initializing disk
Load bootsector
Executing bootsector:

Invalid system disk
Replace! the disk, and then press any key

and it keeps repeating this the above... Invalid system...etc

I would be so grateful if anyone can help me out.. Thanks!!!

-p