HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   k8vse deluxe.....question about promise vs via sata controller and some bios questions (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=32415)

laj May 7th 04 12:59 AM

k8vse deluxe.....question about promise vs via sata controller and some bios questions

Hi,
I set up this board with 2x 512mb mem and amd 64 3200+ and gforce fx
5200 apg 4x.
my hd is wd 120 sata which I finally got reconized after getting the
6420 via drivers at viaarena.com.
question is : If I want to try it with the promise drivers do I go to
promise's site and dl their drivers, install them and than turn on the
promise controller in the bios and turn off the via southbridge one?
(currently I have the via on and promise off; Is that correct or
should both be on; does it matter?.
The drive is on SATA 1 and not the raid SATA plugs. If I use the
promise controller , do I have to move the sata cable to the lower
raid sata area ?

Otherwise in the bios, what should I have set otherwise for good (and
stable) performance? I see the fsb is set for 200. Shouldn't I be able
to turn it up to 400 (800)?? The mem is Kingston ddr400 pc3200. non-
ecc.

Any other stablilty or performance settings I should think about (and
why?)

Plan on video editing with premiere pro and using photoshop. Will move
2 ata umda 133's and a ultrawide scsi2 drive (thru an adaptec
aha2940xxx adapter card).

thanks,
Jack