HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Power Supply upgrade (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=99077)

Gordon June 5th 05 01:36 PM

Power Supply upgrade

I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with a
second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a better
psu.

Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
advance.

Gordon

Ben Myers June 5th 05 03:27 PM

I can't recall the innards of a Presario 6600, but many Presarios used
oddly-shaped power supplies. If the power supply in your system does not
follow a standard form factor and you want to upgrade the wattage, consider
buying a new case with power supply and move the guts from the Presario to the
new case... Ben Myers

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:37:16 GMT, "Gordon" wrote:

Actually i meant a 6600 not a 6800.

.. .

Kevin Childers June 7th 05 06:49 PM

Was worth a shot, some Mfgs offer replacement PSUs that have a higher
wattage than the cheaper ones OEMs install. There are other sites out there
that may be of use, check the specs and pictures for a good fit at the
wattage you need.

KC