HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Powerline Ethernet, inconsistent performance (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=192143)

Yousuf Khan[_2_] October 7th 12 07:30 AM

Powerline Ethernet, inconsistent performance

Okay, here's an update on the situation. I pulled the Powerline adapter
from the location it's been in for years, and put into a different power
plug location a little further away. Fixed the issue instantly! Now I've
gone from 5Mbps back upto over 100Mbps again! Just had to reposition the
the router a little and added a longer ethernet cable between the router
and the powerline adapter. The longer ethernet cable is a also a going
across a bit visibly on the floor, but at least the performance is back
upto where it used to be!

Yousuf Khan

On 30/09/2012 12:48 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've had a powerline ethernet setup for several years at my home. I
usually find their performance more consistent than Wi-Fi, especially
when streaming video. But right now I'm not experiencing usual conditions.

I'm currently using 3 adapters distributed throughout my home. Current
iteration uses all adapters based on the Powerline HD 200Mbps standard.
Usually I'd be getting over 100Mbps on all adapters, occasionally
dropping down to 50Mbps in the worst cases. Nowadays I'm seeing it drop
down to 5Mbps even.

I haven't added too many new electrical appliances my home, as far as I
can tell, but the quality of the electrical lines seems to have gotten
noisier for no apparent reason. What can be done to improve the
situation? The house is 30 years old.

Yousuf Khan

Rodney Pont[_5_] October 7th 12 08:00 AM

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 02:30:28 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Okay, here's an update on the situation. I pulled the Powerline adapter
from the location it's been in for years, and put into a different power
plug location a little further away.

Have you tried a power cycle on it in the original position?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Yousuf Khan[_2_] October 8th 12 03:45 AM

On 07/10/2012 3:00 AM, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 02:30:28 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Okay, here's an update on the situation. I pulled the Powerline adapter
from the location it's been in for years, and put into a different power
plug location a little further away.

Have you tried a power cycle on it in the original position?

I might try it back in its original position sometime later, likely
it'll work based on Murphy's Law, but right now I'm just happy that it's
working well at its current location.

Yousuf Khan