HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=191580)

J. P. Gilliver (John) June 7th 12 09:09 PM

Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

In message , R. C.
White writes:
Hi, John.

Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that
stores each email as a separate real file? (In real
folders/directories?)

Yes! As pointed out by Mortimer a few posts down...

Windows Mail, OE's successor that was integrated into Windows Vista
over 5 years ago, discarded OE's All-In-One humongous DBX file approach
and introduced a new scheme. Other more-techie users can describe the
details better than I can, but in WM, each email message is saved in a
separate .eml file, and each newsgroup post in its own .nws file.
Windows Live Mail continues this new scheme.

[]
Thanks for that information. Definitely food for thought!

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I
use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley

Gene Wirchenko June 7th 12 11:04 PM

Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])

I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

J. P. Gilliver (John) June 7th 12 11:39 PM

Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

In message , Gene Wirchenko
writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

[]
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

[]
Wow, do _those_ store individual emails/posts in individual files then?
(If so, does it extend to Eudora OSE, which is really Thunderbird?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")

[email protected] June 8th 12 01:15 AM

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])

I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

I use Thunderbird and Agent.

I switched to Thunderbird because it has a open email folder format. It was a
PITA to lose a decade of email history.

John Williamson June 8th 12 01:32 AM

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])

I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

I use Thunderbird and Agent.

I switched to Thunderbird because it has a open email folder format. It was a
PITA to lose a decade of email history.

If you switched from Outlook or OE, as long as the .pst file (or its
backup) isn't corrupt, you can import all your e-mail into Thunderbird.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

[email protected] June 8th 12 03:02 AM

Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:32:17 +0100, John Williamson

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

No, it was PMMail.

Gene Wirchenko June 8th 12 05:00 AM

Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:39:39 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Gene Wirchenko
writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

[]
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

[]
Wow, do _those_ store individual emails/posts in individual files then?
(If so, does it extend to Eudora OSE, which is really Thunderbird?)

Oops! I missed that bit. No, Eudora and Agent both put messages
of a mailbox/newsgroup in a file. Each mailbox/newsgroup has its own
file.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko