HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=146657)

David Arnstein February 27th 07 02:27 AM

Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

I recently installed a Dell XPS710. I would like to obtain the
Microsoft Vista software upgrade from Dell. I used the Dell web pile
to initiate this request. I was presented with an HTML form that asked
for the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for the PC.

My issue is that the COA is, apparently, printed on a tag that is
attached to the computer. This computer is large and heavy, and moving
it now would be a knuckle-busting job for me.

I am looking for workarounds:

1. Is the COA printed somewhere in the paper materials that Dell sent
with the computer?

2. Can I query the COA from the PC while it is running Windows XP?

3. Is there a way to obtain the Vista upgrade from Dell without
providing a COA?

Failing the above,

4. Where exactly is the COA tag located on my XPS 710? Perhaps I can
spy it with a small mirror and flashlight.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I did manage to write down the express service code and the service
tag of the computer.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}

Barry Watzman February 27th 07 02:46 AM

Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

The location varies, but there is probably no workaround.

When I did my Toshiba Express Upgrade, the number that they wanted was
NOT the product key (e.g. not the 25-character string), but rather
another number printed on the COA. What's best would be to take a
digital photo of the COA (clear enough to read) and save that on the
computer as a JPEG file.

HDRDTD February 27th 07 04:19 AM

Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

Look on the PC for the Microsoft sticker that has the Windows install code
on it.

The code the web site is asking for is on the same tag, but it is NOT the
25character install code. It's another code number on the same tag.

Ozark58 February 27th 07 08:30 PM

Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

The Dell Tag number is sometimes visible from the BIOS update page. Hit F2
when first booting up the Dell computer and this will take you into BIOS
update page.

If the Dell Tag number is actually on the BIOS page, you can also view it
by using a free utility called Belarc Advisor.

Legally download Belarc Advisor free from he

The Dell Tag number is usually pasted on the top of the computer near the
front cover, but I've also seen them pasted on the either side of the
computer case and on the back side of the older computers.

HDRDTD February 27th 07 10:38 PM

Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

That's true, but that's not the number Dell is asking for in the OP's
original question.

When you enter your information to apply for the Vista upgrade, Dell is
asking for a string of numbers that is on the Microsoft COA tag, but is a
seperate number than the Microsoft Product Key.

t...

Ork . February 28th 07 06:03 PM

Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

Run Belarc (Maybe it's there).

http://community.webtv.net/Geo_H/ScenicCalif