HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=135200)

Yousuf Khan September 5th 06 05:42 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's going from 86W to 65W.

willbill September 5th 06 06:26 AM

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's going from 86W to 65W.

wow, tough stuff!

at least, if true

and depending on how the revised
P4's stack up against comparable
AMD cpu's, it will put further
price pressure on AMD

if those with recent P4 mobos can't
make use of the new cooler P4 cpu's,
there will be great unhappiness with
those who've just bought a P4 mobo

i also note that AMD finally dropped
prices on their 940 Opty's, but i think
i'll wait another few months and see
what things look like then. :)

bill

Yousuf Khan September 5th 06 03:05 PM

willbill wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's going from 86W to
65W.

wow, tough stuff!

at least, if true

and depending on how the revised
P4's stack up against comparable
AMD cpu's, it will put further
price pressure on AMD

Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them. They
have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their inventory,
and those they are likely going to have to write off.

Yousuf Khan

willbill September 5th 06 06:36 PM

Yousuf Khan wrote:

willbill wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's
going from 86W to 65W.

wow, tough stuff!

i mean it's like a prise fight (variant
of prize :), sorry about the "ISA"
in a recent post to you when it should
have been PCI) with a 1-2 to the solar
plexus. 1st, low power high performance
core 2, and now this with cheap low
power P4

at least, if true

i'd like to correct that to "if accurate"

i looked at anandtech and did not find
anything on this, and also www.sandpile.org

and depending on how the revised
P4's stack up against comparable
AMD cpu's, it will put further
price pressure on AMD

Dropped power just as they are getting ready to
discontinue them. They have a ton of previous P4's
and PD's to get rid of in their inventory, and those
they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

OTOH and having slept on it, i'm guessing that
this won't much affect server CPU prices

the reason for newegg's price drop on Opty 940 CPUs
(this past week) looks like their (AMD) intro of
AMD Santa Ana and Santa Rosa, which weren't there
on my capture of newegg's August 8 Opty prices

per chrisv's input, www.sandpile.org is a terrific
ref on current architecture, under the "impl" heading

bill

Yousuf Khan September 7th 06 05:01 AM

willbill wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them. They
have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their inventory,
and those they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

the reason for newegg's price drop on Opty 940 CPUs
(this past week) looks like their (AMD) intro of
AMD Santa Ana and Santa Rosa, which weren't there
on my capture of newegg's August 8 Opty prices

Socket F?

Yousuf Khan

George Macdonald September 7th 06 12:39 PM

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:01:34 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

willbill wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them. They
have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their inventory,
and those they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

S'always possible there's somebody out there who thinks Netburst is just
the ticket... hmm, well maybe not!;-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

willbill September 7th 06 04:26 PM

Yousuf Khan wrote:
willbill wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them.
They have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their
inventory, and those they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers
who is going to want to buy the P4's?

people will go where a) the performance is
and/or b) price/performance/heat(lackof) is

we've all been assuming that P4 is dead,
and that Pentium M is Intel's future

this power reduction with P4 makes me wonder

i also note that Pentium M and Core 2 Duo are
both seen as generation 6 (by www.sandpile.org;
see 3rd line under "impl": PM and Core)

whereas they see P4 as generation 7 (3rd line
under "impl": P4)

not that "7" means it's inherently better

the reason for newegg's price drop on Opty 940 CPUs
(this past week) looks like their (AMD) intro of
AMD Santa Ana and Santa Rosa, which weren't there
on my capture of newegg's August 8 Opty prices

Socket F?

Santa Ana is Opteron with socket AM2

Santa Rosa is Opteron with socket F

both appear to be strictly dual core.
at least, Newegg isn't showing any quad
core Opteron CPUs

bill

Carlo Razzeto September 7th 06 06:00 PM

"willbill" wrote in message
people will go where a) the performance is
and/or b) price/performance/heat(lackof) is

we've all been assuming that P4 is dead,
and that Pentium M is Intel's future

this power reduction with P4 makes me wonder

i also note that Pentium M and Core 2 Duo are
both seen as generation 6 (by www.sandpile.org;
see 3rd line under "impl": PM and Core)

whereas they see P4 as generation 7 (3rd line
under "impl": P4)

not that "7" means it's inherently better

Considering the performance advantage Core 2 has over the P4 (and even
Athlon 64 which wipes the floors with the P4) I doubt anyone other than
those people who don't want to switch out an MB quite yet are going to care.
From all points, netburst is looking like exactly everyone said it was when
it first came out, a mistake. A big one at that, considering how much Intel
has lost to AMD durring the reign of netburst.

Carlo

chrisv September 7th 06 06:10 PM

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

Considering the performance advantage Core 2 has over the P4 (and even
Athlon 64 which wipes the floors with the P4) I doubt anyone other than
those people who don't want to switch out an MB quite yet are going to care.

It's not like the Core 2's are hideously expensive, either.

Good thing most buyers are clueless, or the demand for the Core 2
would so far out-strip the supply that getting one would be nearly
impossible.

Felger Carbon September 7th 06 09:16 PM

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

Anybody who wants to build computers. It will take about all of Intel's and
AMD's production capacity to meet the total number of PCs to be built and
sold this year (any 12 month period you'd care to name, for instance
starting now). Since Intel cannot produce all Core 2 CPUs at this time, the
only way the total market demand can be met is for people to buy P4s, since
that's what Intel will have available to sell. The alternative is for
everybody to not build PCs and let the market demand be ignored. Yeh, like
that's gonna happen! ;-)

Rick Jones September 7th 06 10:09 PM

In comp.sys.intel Yousuf Khan wrote:
Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

Perhaps p4's are in more than just PCs? ISTR references to P4's being
in some HD-DVD players (or was that bluray?)

rick jones

Scott Alfter September 7th 06 10:11 PM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

krw September 8th 06 03:21 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

In article . net,
says...
"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

Anybody who wants to build computers. It will take about all of Intel's and
AMD's production capacity to meet the total number of PCs to be built and
sold this year (any 12 month period you'd care to name, for instance
starting now). Since Intel cannot produce all Core 2 CPUs at this time, the
only way the total market demand can be met is for people to buy P4s, since
that's what Intel will have available to sell. The alternative is for
everybody to not build PCs and let the market demand be ignored. Yeh, like
that's gonna happen! ;-)

....and the price of these systems won't reflect this, um, change in
the "market"? No, P4's have been toast for years. It's just
taken INTC a while to get with the program. ;-)

--
Keith

krw September 8th 06 03:23 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

In article ,
says...
In comp.sys.intel Yousuf Khan wrote:
Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

Perhaps p4's are in more than just PCs? ISTR references to P4's being
in some HD-DVD players (or was that bluray?)

If so, it's a crappy choice. The P4 is a huge power hog and for
this reason alone there are *far* better embedded alternatives.

--
Keith

George Macdonald September 8th 06 02:06 PM

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:16:10 GMT, "Felger Carbon" wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

Anybody who wants to build computers. It will take about all of Intel's and
AMD's production capacity to meet the total number of PCs to be built and
sold this year (any 12 month period you'd care to name, for instance
starting now). Since Intel cannot produce all Core 2 CPUs at this time, the
only way the total market demand can be met is for people to buy P4s, since
that's what Intel will have available to sell. The alternative is for
everybody to not build PCs and let the market demand be ignored. Yeh, like
that's gonna happen! ;-)

You're probably right but the reasons escape me: given that P4s in question
and C2Ds are produced in the same 65nm fabs, it is cerainly odd that Intel
would bring out a new iteration of P4 which is going to push C2D production
out of the way for a chip which nobody (who "knows) wants. Since the same
chipsets.mbrds are used with both CPUs, it makes it even stranger.

I have to ask: why can Intel not produce all C2Ds right now? They don't
want to write off the low-power P4 development & tooling costs? There is
still a P4 fan-faction at Intel? C2D has umm, yield problems? It's a
further plot to sink AMD with even lower prices? Are there large corporate
buyers who insist on 1,000 systems exactly identical to what they bought 3
months ago... P4 an' all?

It seems to me that something's afoot here. I don't see Mikey reversing
himself on desktop Athlon64s but we'll know more about the scale of that
effort in a week or two by all accounts. I dunno if you caught my post the
other day about the rumors flying around that Dell has sucked the Athlon64
channel dry.

Oh, BTW my favorite anal...yst babble this week was that, as part of the
sell-off/lay-offs, Intel might sell Itanium off to the highest bidder.:-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Johannes September 8th 06 02:29 PM

chrisv wrote:

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

Considering the performance advantage Core 2 has over the P4 (and even
Athlon 64 which wipes the floors with the P4) I doubt anyone other than
those people who don't want to switch out an MB quite yet are going to care.

It's not like the Core 2's are hideously expensive, either.

But (as said) P4 upgrade option if motherboard can't take a Core 2.

Good thing most buyers are clueless, or the demand for the Core 2
would so far out-strip the supply that getting one would be nearly
impossible.

Don't worry, the cluelessness goes in to opposite direction. TV commercials
have suggested that you need Core 2 Duo for doing emailing and printing
at the same time...

[email protected] September 8th 06 03:10 PM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 09:06:22 -0400, George Macdonald
wrote:

I have to ask: why can Intel not produce all C2Ds right now? They don't
want to write off the low-power P4 development & tooling costs? There is
still a P4 fan-faction at Intel? C2D has umm, yield problems?

Yep, that's how it looks like.
It's a
further plot to sink AMD with even lower prices? Are there large corporate
buyers who insist on 1,000 systems exactly identical to what they bought 3
months ago... P4 an' all?

It looks like C2Ds, especially 4MB variety, are hard to come by.
While not necessarily true, but one can suppose with a good degree of
probability that most, if not all, C2Ds start as 4MB, but most of them
have later 1/2 of it disabled for being faulty. Chances are, we are
about to see soon Celerons (or whatever Intel decides to call them)
with 2 cores and puny (1MB? 512k? even less?) caches, and also some
single cores based on Core2 - as soon as they sort out their dump bin.

NNN

chrisv September 8th 06 04:18 PM

Johannes wrote:

TV commercials
have suggested that you need Core 2 Duo for doing emailing and printing
at the same time...

Darn it, I could have sworn that I did that back in 1985 on my Amiga.
8)

Grant Schoep September 9th 06 08:30 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

TV commercials
have suggested that you need Core 2 Duo for doing emailing and printing
at the same time...

Darn it, I could have sworn that I did that back in 1985 on my Amiga.
8)

Heh yes. I'd still like to see how a Core 2 Duo would do on an up to date
Beos... as much as I hated the Apple like interface, I really like the
"everything is threaded" concept.

What is annoying about this all. Is everyone could benifit from dual
processors now days. WinXP, as the most dominiant, likes it. I myself sit
and "play poker", "listen to mp3s", etc etc at the same time. If I could
play poker on Linux there would probably be a compiler and other stuff
running too.

Thing is, None of those are CPU intensive whatsoever(other than compile...)

basically, I think most everyone could benifit from multi-cpu, but... for
most parts, most common users only need big horsepower from CPUs in modern
games.

Dual-core, yes. But until more games are threaded, people will still
beleive that multi-cpu is not neccessary.

But then on games I know nothing. I hate action, I'm a turn based game
boy...

johannes September 9th 06 12:57 PM

Grant Schoep wrote:

[...]

I'm not into games, but think there are many other ways of using CPU
horsepower. E.g. improved data visualization in Excel and Powerpoint.

Powerpoint, in particular, badly needs some more interesting stuff for
interactive data visualization or we'll all fall asleep.

willbill September 9th 06 07:27 PM

George Macdonald wrote:

[...]

totally agreed on all points

I have to ask: why can Intel not produce all C2Ds right now? They don't
want to write off the low-power P4 development & tooling costs?

to me it was odd that Intel would spend the money
to further develop P4, given their current issues
with profits(lackof) and layoffs

There is still a P4 fan-faction at Intel?

wouldn't surprise me

C2D has umm, yield problems? It's a
further plot to sink AMD with even lower prices? Are there large corporate
buyers who insist on 1,000 systems exactly identical to what they bought 3
months ago... P4 an' all?

It seems to me that something's afoot here.

totally agreed

I don't see Mikey reversing
himself on desktop Athlon64s but we'll know more about the scale of that
effort in a week or two by all accounts. I dunno if you caught my post the
other day about the rumors flying around that Dell has sucked the Athlon64
channel dry.

if there is any one person who is not stupid
it is mike dell

this whole thing is odd

i just went to anandtech and tomshardware
and there is nothing on this

(i did not try googling, nor did i try
searching on the intel site)

iow, is it (lower power P4s) really true?

bill

Scott Alfter September 10th 06 11:58 PM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

David Kanter September 11th 06 04:28 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

If so, it's a crappy choice. The P4 is a huge power hog and for
this reason alone there are *far* better embedded alternatives.

Yea, as much as the media aspect of a BD device fits with the P4, you'd
have to be kind of crazy not to use...well...a DSP and probably
something like a PPC or MIPS core.

DK

George Macdonald September 11th 06 06:09 AM

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 13:27:56 -0500, willbill wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:

[...]

If you look at the Datasheet 31030605.pdf it shows potential core frequency
up to 5.06GHz in some of the tables......Ô_õ

C2D has umm, yield problems? It's a
further plot to sink AMD with even lower prices? Are there large corporate
buyers who insist on 1,000 systems exactly identical to what they bought 3
months ago... P4 an' all?

It seems to me that something's afoot here.

totally agreed

Well.... here's the PCN
http://intel.pcnalert.com/content/eo...N106404-01.pdf, which was
preceded by http://intel.pcnalert.com/content/eo...N106404-00.pdf as
I'm sure you've found that the URL at the Inquirer article is wrong. What
*is* evident/important is that those new parts seem to be qualified for a
"Mainstream FMB" as opposed to the previous ones which required a
"Performance FMB"... dual core for the masses in a P4 package?:-) In fact
there may be quite a few folks with older "mainstream" mbrds who could now
upgrade to a dual core P4, though there is a BIOS update required
apparently.

I don't see Mikey reversing
himself on desktop Athlon64s but we'll know more about the scale of that
effort in a week or two by all accounts. I dunno if you caught my post the
other day about the rumors flying around that Dell has sucked the Athlon64
channel dry.

if there is any one person who is not stupid
it is mike dell

this whole thing is odd

i just went to anandtech and tomshardware
and there is nothing on this

(i did not try googling, nor did i try
searching on the intel site)

iow, is it (lower power P4s) really true?

Oh it's true - see the PCN above and even the Datasheet for the Pentium D
shows the max current lowered from 125A to 100A.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

johannes September 11th 06 03:33 PM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

Scott Alfter wrote:

In article ,
Johannes wrote:
Don't worry, the cluelessness goes in to opposite direction. TV commercials
have suggested that you need Core 2 Duo for doing emailing and printing
at the same time...

Nothing new there. IIRC, Intel used to say in its ads that the P!!! made
the Internet faster. :-P

I think they said that it would "enhance your internet experience". But the
reason behind this was the infamous introduction of a unique CPU identifier
that (in principle) could trace your surfing over the internet...

As criticism inevitably followed, Intel had to provide a tool to disable
this feature.

chrisv September 11th 06 08:51 PM

johannes wrote:

Nothing new there. IIRC, Intel used to say in its ads that the P!!! made
the Internet faster. :-P

I think they said that it would "enhance your internet experience". But the
reason behind this was the infamous introduction of a unique CPU identifier
that (in principle) could trace your surfing over the internet...

As criticism inevitably followed, Intel had to provide a tool to disable
this feature.

The did retreat on that issue, but did they not come back with a
similar "feature" on Prescott and later CPU's?

Carlo Razzeto September 12th 06 12:53 AM

"chrisv" wrote in message
johannes wrote:

Nothing new there. IIRC, Intel used to say in its ads that the P!!!
made
the Internet faster. :-P

I think they said that it would "enhance your internet experience". But
the
reason behind this was the infamous introduction of a unique CPU
identifier
that (in principle) could trace your surfing over the internet...

As criticism inevitably followed, Intel had to provide a tool to disable
this feature.

The did retreat on that issue, but did they not come back with a
similar "feature" on Prescott and later CPU's?

Yeah, but by that time they had "Netburst" architecture to make the internet
faster :P

krw September 13th 06 03:02 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

In article om,
says...
If so, it's a crappy choice. The P4 is a huge power hog and for
this reason alone there are *far* better embedded alternatives.

Yea, as much as the media aspect of a BD device fits with the P4, you'd
have to be kind of crazy not to use...well...a DSP and probably
something like a PPC or MIPS core.

Why bother with the DSP? This stuff isn't rocket-surgery.

--
KEith

David Kanter September 13th 06 06:16 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

Why bother with the DSP? This stuff isn't rocket-surgery.

I don't know how taxing Blu-Ray read and decode is. I wouldn't be
surprised if it was too much for some of the low end PPC embedded
designs to handle.

DK