HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SAS drive permanently "busy"? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=200183)

Percival P. Cassidy August 21st 20 02:44 AM

SAS drive permanently "busy"?

Being in need or a spare 6TB drive for my FreeNAS machine, I found a
Seagate-recertified SAS drive with more then 4 years warranty remaining.
But whether I plug it into a motherboard SAS port or a port on the
add-on SAS card, the "busy" light stays on the whole time. Is this
normal SAS drive behavior?

Perce

Mark Perkins August 21st 20 05:03 AM

SAS drive permanently "busy"?

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 21:44:43 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Being in need or a spare 6TB drive for my FreeNAS machine, I found a
Seagate-recertified SAS drive with more then 4 years warranty remaining.
But whether I plug it into a motherboard SAS port or a port on the
add-on SAS card, the "busy" light stays on the whole time. Is this
normal SAS drive behavior?

I have a 2-port SAS controller, but I use SATA breakout cables so that I
can connect 8 SATA drives. I'm not sure what's normal for a SAS drive.