HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fixed my new broken chinese keyboard (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199043)

Flasherly[_2_] June 24th 18 01:37 AM

Fixed my new broken chinese keyboard

Chinese Blue Mechanical Keyboard Switches.

A dozen mini-screw attachments, 5 regular, the rest of which I got to
with a Chinese mobile phone repair kit. (Some 30 or so usual
screw-type fittings in today's micro and otherwise manufacturing
jigsaw fits.)

Pulled it apart, two pieces with many interlocking plastic joints,
somehow managing not to destroy the keyboard case cover. I managed
not to swear, and the Gods of Graces were probably not offended.

Plugged the "bare boned" keyboard into a spare USB port, two keyboards
running, and variously torqued on the offending individual's keyswitch
housing while activating its switching mechanism.

Became evident of a cold solder joint intermittency, a QC issue, and a
whole lot less work required of me, than microsoldering in and out two
whole keyswitches and associated LED connections.

I fixed with the Chinese keyboard a Chinese copyrighted "Every Man
Woman" soldering station. Including the Chinese mobile phone
disassembly kit, for under $20 of Chinese tools. Warning: Do not try
that on your own under the New President Trump Regime.

Chinese Cree hi-intensity LED flashlight, Chinese x30 jeweler's
inspection loop, large x10 6" overhead magnifier desklamp, Chinese,
all are optional for the true sense of a Chinese sweatshop, on or
nearby the equator, without air conditioning: Get in and out quick,
or wrap up with a towel around your neck before profusely dripping if
you can't take heat.

Ahh...sooo...
http://www.kailhswitch.com/mechanica...-switches.html

Flasherly[_2_] June 26th 18 10:40 AM

Fixed my new broken chinese keyboard

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 20:37:19 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Pulled it apart..

-
And another intermittent key, with yet another potentially marginal.
Resoldered both and seems repaired, as does the first re-solder, which
is also holding for good operation.

These Chinese keyswitches are OK. It's the soldering that's crap,
wherever that occurred. Hardly any, a miniscule amount of solder
splatter on the board...looking for handiwork involved. Seems it
would be machine/robotic soldered. Looking over the actual two-prong
keyswitch contacts, I'm not so sure about an extent of manual
soldering involved. The contacts, a lot to most vary to the extent of
very little solder covering those keyswitch pins.

The rest of the board, LED and other junction/components,
contact-traces are too small to be feasible for hand-soldering. Seems
it then indicates stages. Everything up to a point machine-production
soldered, and then, possibly in my case, machine production of
keyswitch contacts may be spotty, so it's gone over, scabbed by human
corrective soldering. Not conclusively by any approximation to QC.

That's three faulty solder keyswitches and could very well mean more
on the way. The plus is that fixing the keys is minor, not beyond
basic soldering proficiency, provided it stays that way, a little
tedium here and there, and nothing more fails beyond that skill level.