HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Xeon Phi multi-core mania (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195648)

[email protected] May 8th 15 12:13 PM

Xeon Phi multi-core mania

I read in a gaming forum the other day that games do not use more than 4
cores because of diminishing returns.
Reminded me when I was in geophysics, and companies starting making clusters
out of Pentium IIIs about 2000. They had a few algorithms that needed
at least 10x the megaflops than the others. Fortunately, those got
linear speedup, so they could invest in hundreds of CPUs.
But going through the algorithm toolbox, only about 1/3 were rewritten
for parallel code because for most, the speedup was sweet phukorl.
Now the industry seems stuck on the multi-core paradigm.
People are actually selling Phi workstations with 60 cores jogging along
at 1 GHz.
I would quit if one was plonked on my desk.

Yousuf Khan[_2_] May 13th 15 04:40 PM

Xeon Phi multi-core mania

On 08/05/2015 7:13 AM, wrote:
I read in a gaming forum the other day that games do not use more than 4
cores because of diminishing returns.

That's all about to change with the advent of DirectX 12! The GPU
threads may now use as many as six cores (possibly more later on) to
speed up graphics in DX12.

Tested: DirectX 12's potential performance leap is insane | PCWorld
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29008...is-insane.html

Yousuf Khan