HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Using Thinkpad R50 Wi-Fi with Linksys WAP (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=3773)

MarkW February 27th 04 02:46 AM

Using Thinkpad R50 Wi-Fi with Linksys WAP

I just bought a IBM Thinkpad R50 computer which has the built in Wi-Fi
b/g. As well, I have a linksys WAP that I was using with my previous
laptop that had a Linksys Wireless-G card and it worked fine. I am
having trouble setting the Thinkpad up to work though. I have tried
it without any encryption and it works fine. Yet I don't want to go
without encryption but I see a lot in the linksys manual about
WEP/passphrase not being compatible with most non-linksys products so
does this mean I can't use any type of encryption or is there some way
around this? The manual mentions manually entering but I'm confused
about what I'm supposed to do. I know I could just use my Linksys
wireless-g card but I would rather use the built in networking if
possible.

JT February 27th 04 03:54 AM

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:46:36 GMT, MarkW
wrote:

I just bought a IBM Thinkpad R50 computer which has the built in Wi-Fi
b/g. As well, I have a linksys WAP that I was using with my previous
laptop that had a Linksys Wireless-G card and it worked fine. I am
having trouble setting the Thinkpad up to work though. I have tried
it without any encryption and it works fine. Yet I don't want to go
without encryption but I see a lot in the linksys manual about
WEP/passphrase not being compatible with most non-linksys products so
does this mean I can't use any type of encryption or is there some way
around this? The manual mentions manually entering but I'm confused
about what I'm supposed to do. I know I could just use my Linksys
wireless-g card but I would rather use the built in networking if
possible.

The WEP standard calls for a HEX key. There are manufacturers, like
linksys, that will take a passphrase and through their own special bit of
code turn it into a HEX key. They do this because phrases are easier to
remember than a group of HEX digits. It also makes it easier to stick with
just their equipment. The thing is, once you come up with the random HEX
digits, you only need to do that once, and then you enter them in each
device.

Just don't use a passphrase, use HEX and enter the same digits in each
device

JT