HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Problem,"Disk Write Protected" (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=19119)

[email protected] February 12th 04 11:54 AM

Problem,"Disk Write Protected"

I have a strange problem with a new floppy drive I installed. It is a
Teac 3.5, 144MB and the cables are installed correctly. As a matter of
fact, the drive will read floppys, but when I try to format, or write
to a floppy I get a "disk write protected" error. It does this with
any brand of floppy with the "write protect" tab open or closed. Win
XP Device Mgr. tells me that the drive and controller are working
properly. Any one have any ideas?

Dave C. February 12th 04 12:58 PM

roys wrote in message ...
I have a strange problem with a new floppy drive I installed. It is a
Teac 3.5, 144MB and the cables are installed correctly. As a matter of
fact, the drive will read floppys, but when I try to format, or write
to a floppy I get a "disk write protected" error. It does this with
any brand of floppy with the "write protect" tab open or closed. Win
XP Device Mgr. tells me that the drive and controller are working
properly. Any one have any ideas?

Sounds like a bad drive to me. -Dave

Jay Cousins February 12th 04 07:52 PM

wrote in message . ..
I have a strange problem with a new floppy drive I installed. It is a
Teac 3.5, 144MB and the cables are installed correctly. As a matter of
fact, the drive will read floppys, but when I try to format, or write
to a floppy I get a "disk write protected" error. It does this with
any brand of floppy with the "write protect" tab open or closed. Win
XP Device Mgr. tells me that the drive and controller are working
properly. Any one have any ideas?

Have you gone to the store and bought brand new PC formatted floppies?
Also the whole is suppost to be covered for writing. Make sure that
it click into place.

Jay

Roy Smith February 13th 04 03:18 AM

As I said, the drive was tried with a number of different floppys and no
matter where the tab was open or closed, the drive says "disk write
protected" I agree that the drive has to be bad and I will send it back.
Thanks for all the input - Roy

Roy Smith February 14th 04 03:44 AM

Dumb and dumber, that's me! JAD was right, it was turned off in the Bios. I
checked everything but the obvious, works fine now. Thanks JAD and everyone
else, can always depend on help (and a "wake-up call") here.
Roy
ink.net...