HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is the maximum clock rate given the state of today's technology?~ (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=188105)

GreenXenon March 25th 11 05:56 PM

What is the maximum clock rate given the state of today's technology?~

~Hi:

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of
a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

Thank a bunch,

Green Xenon

Jim[_31_] March 26th 11 08:40 AM

What is the maximum clock rate given the state of today's technology?~

Team Italy overclocked a P4 to 8GHZ.

Tom Lake March 26th 11 09:39 PM

What is the maximum clock rate given the state of today's technology?~

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of
a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

Thank a bunch,

Green Xenon

42

Only on Vogsphere!

Tom L

Bill Davidsen March 27th 11 05:35 PM

GreenXenon wrote:
~Hi:

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of
a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

I think you are in the wrong group for a useful answer. Might try sci.physics,
but I suspect they will want a better defined question.

daytripper March 27th 11 10:39 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:35:17 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

GreenXenon wrote:
~Hi:

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of
a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

I think you are in the wrong group for a useful answer. Might try sci.physics,
but I suspect they will want a better defined question.

Is that group more into doing kids' homework for them? ;-)

Silicon Germanium supports some prodigious clock frequencies. Integrated on a
BiCMOS process to support IO, ~20ghz core toggle frequencies ought to be
achievable without totally breaking the proverbial bank.

Don't know how much actual "work" could get done with a "purely-serial
processor" (heck - 37 years in the platform bidness and I don't know WTF that
might actually mean ;-) but if all that's interesting is the wiggle speed,
there you go...

/daytripper

Yousuf Khan[_2_] March 28th 11 02:23 AM

On 27/03/2011 12:35 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
GreenXenon wrote:
~Hi:

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of
a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

I think you are in the wrong group for a useful answer. Might try
sci.physics, but I suspect they will want a better defined question.

speed of electrons
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99092.htm

So according to the above, electrons are only travelling at the
mindblowing speed of 0.024 cm/sec in a copper wire! :)

Yousuf Khan