HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   More Chinese soldering wonders (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199177)

Flasherly[_2_] September 5th 18 03:34 PM

More Chinese soldering wonders

AUKEY KM-G6 LED-Backlit 104-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Blue Switches
$31.99 w/ code DXZK8U29

AUKEY KM-G10 104-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Blue Switches n Round
Keycaps
$30.09 w/ code 3TZLFH3H
(and no LEDs? - that's got to be some kind of round)

Looked it over (Amazon and others) they're reviewing, blaming the keys
for failing -- Outemu Blue Switches.

No way. These are good keyswitches. lt's the production runs on
keyboards that are ridiculously far out. All mine had a very thin
solder covering for each two-keyswitch contact, loosening for
intermittence. Finally pooled in more substantial,
traditional-looking bubbles of solder straight across -all- the
contacts.

Apart from a few added features between a $150 keyboard, a little
initial inconvenience prodding around, for my half-hour of extra
soldering labor: Magnified soldering under a glass, which moves along
at a pretty good clip once into the swing of it;- Decent soldering
station also on the cheap, sub-$20 Chinese, with a suitable small tip
and variable controlled temperature.

Hate to say it, but these Chinese keyswitches blow my old $100 Focus
mechanical keyboard clean out of the water.

My little secret, that I like it now, looking to be comfortably and
solidly settled in for the projected 50-70K key-press longevity, as,
meanwhile, Outemu is left stuck taking heat for otherwise crappy
keyswitch implementation on everybody's offbrand Chinese production
runs.