HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=188467)

Daddy[_4_] April 30th 11 04:30 PM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

Pen April 30th 11 04:52 PM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

On 4/30/2011 11:30 AM, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant
information available from a Google search; this is either a
90mm fan or a 92mm fan. My question is: Does it matter
whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on
Newegg - and none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm
models.

Daddy

I found it right off. 92mm
http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=57471

Daddy[_4_] April 30th 11 10:11 PM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

Pen wrote:
On 4/30/2011 11:30 AM, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant
information available from a Google search; this is either a
90mm fan or a 92mm fan. My question is: Does it matter
whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on
Newegg - and none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm
models.

Daddy

I found it right off. 92mm
http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=57471

Yes, I saw that one as well. But sellers on eBay describe it as 90mm.

My question is, does it really matter whether I buy a 90mm or a 92mm
fan? I mean, if I'm wrong on the size, I'm only wrong by 2 millimeters.

Daddy

Pen April 30th 11 11:36 PM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

On 4/30/2011 5:11 PM, Daddy wrote:
Pen wrote:
[...]

Go ahead and use it and drill out the holes if it's wrong.

mm May 1st 11 12:03 AM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:30:24 -0400, Daddy wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

Penn's right. It might even fit, probably will -- the screw only has
to cut one little groove at one place in the hole perimeter -- and if
you have to make holes larger, maybe you should make a couple holes in
the metal case larger so the same screws fit all four plstic holes.

An excuse to buy a new tool, a reamer that has a T-handle and will
make the metal hole larger, a tiny bit at a time.

Daddy[_4_] May 1st 11 12:27 AM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

mm wrote:
[...]

"... a reamer that has a T-handle and will make the hole larger, a tiny
bit at a time ..."

Didn't they use something like that in the Inquisition?

Seriously, thanks for everyone's help.

Daddy

Ben Myers[_4_] May 1st 11 03:09 AM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

On Apr 30, 11:30*am, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

I don't understand "upgrade". A fan that blows more cubic feet per
minute? Or simply a replacement fan for one that does not work as
well any more? If the latter, just get another new one per its Dell
part number... Ben Myers

Daddy[_4_] May 1st 11 04:16 AM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

Ben Myers wrote:
On Apr 30, 11:30 am, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

I don't understand "upgrade". A fan that blows more cubic feet per
minute? Or simply a replacement fan for one that does not work as
well any more? If the latter, just get another new one per its Dell
part number... Ben Myers

Lol ... I knew somebody would eventually ask me "why are you even doing
this?" And the answer is: I, uh, don't really have a good reason. I
guess I'm trying for a little more quiet. I replaced Dell's stock video
card, and that made my computer noticeably quieter. And case fans are
cheap and easy to install, so I figured give it a shot. The Foxconn
blows 45 CFM. If I can find something real quiet that blows as much air,
I'll try it.

My next project is an upgraded power supply. In a larger sense, all this
is preparation for building my first ever computer.

Daddy

Ben Myers[_4_] May 1st 11 11:52 AM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

Justin[_14_] May 2nd 11 02:04 AM

92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

On 4/30/11 5:11 PM, Daddy wrote:
Pen wrote:
On 4/30/2011 11:30 AM, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant
information available from a Google search; this is either a
90mm fan or a 92mm fan. My question is: Does it matter
whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on
Newegg - and none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm
models.

Daddy

I found it right off. 92mm
http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=57471

Yes, I saw that one as well. But sellers on eBay describe it as 90mm.

My question is, does it really matter whether I buy a 90mm or a 92mm
fan? I mean, if I'm wrong on the size, I'm only wrong by 2 millimeters.

Daddy

You'll probably be able to force it in there. I've done worse!
Why are you upgrading the fan? Noise? I hate noisy towers that sound
like a Learjet sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off.
I wish somebody would apply that Dyson bladeless technology to PC case
fans...
Scratch that, there are bladeless fans for PCs but they're über expensive.