HardwareBanter

-   Creative Sound Blaster Cards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   can the SB Audigy 2 be configured for 2 stereo outputs? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=90568)

Glenn December 6th 04 07:14 PM

can the SB Audigy 2 be configured for 2 stereo outputs?

Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
audigy 2 card?

There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just want
to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same stereo
audio running to the TV.

If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1

Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

thing December 6th 04 07:18 PM

Glenn wrote:
Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
audigy 2 card?

There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just want
to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same stereo
audio running to the TV.

If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1

Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

You have an OEM? sounds very short on software.

If you dont have a tape unit and tape monitor/record outputs on the
hi-fi then you could feed the TV from there.

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz December 6th 04 07:49 PM

Glenn wrote:
Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
audigy 2 card?

Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be able
to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which gives
you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it actually
work(front/rear wise).

Glenn December 6th 04 07:49 PM

thing wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
blaster audigy 2 card?

There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just
want to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same
stereo audio running to the TV.

If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1

Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card
that I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

You have an OEM? sounds very short on software.

No I bought it as a creative product, just I misplaced the CD that came
with the card. Doh!

If you dont have a tape unit and tape monitor/record outputs on the
hi-fi then you could feed the TV from there.

Im running the no.1 speaker output into a pair of cheap computer
speakers, rather than a hi-fi, so I can get an output feed.

regards

Thing

What I was doing previously was putting a stereo splitter cable on the
no.1 speaker output on the sound card to create two outputs, but this
cable has gone faulty. The TV is a high impedance input, so I figured it
shouldn't load the no.1 speaker output too badly.

I figured since I have 3 stereo outputs I might as well try and use them.

Glenn

Glenn December 6th 04 07:58 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
blaster audigy 2 card?

Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be able
to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which gives
you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it actually
work(front/rear wise).

If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

Dave - Dave.net.nz December 6th 04 08:13 PM

Glenn wrote:
Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
blaster audigy 2 card?
Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be
able to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which
gives you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it
actually work(front/rear wise).

If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

Glenn December 6th 04 08:24 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
blaster audigy 2 card?
Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be
able to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar...
which gives you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed
it actually work(front/rear wise).

If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

I see, that's what you meant by "however I've never noticed it actually
work(front/rear wise)."

That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
SB live?

Dave - Dave.net.nz December 6th 04 09:13 PM

Glenn wrote:
If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different
signals going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

I see, that's what you meant by "however I've never noticed it actually
work(front/rear wise)."

yep, thats what I meant.

That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
SB live?

no sorry, I no longer use Windows on that machine, so no idea... I think
it was simply in the speaker setup, as in control panel, sound and
audio, and then speaker setup or similar.

Folk December 7th 04 05:34 PM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn wrote:

That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
SB live?

Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
Multimedia" applet?

Glenn December 7th 04 07:22 PM

Folk wrote:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn wrote:

That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
SB live?

Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
Multimedia" applet?

I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.

I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
card is running fine with the creative driver installed.

Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
(it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
Settings, but once again had the same problem.

I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
detected message.